Iphone 4

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Gingerdave, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

So who is getting the new one then?:biggrin

o2 wont let you preorder until the 15th - i tried:dry

so hopefully come the 25th I should have a new phone!

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I will be however I will probably wait until September which is when I am due my upgrade anyway.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I could be tempted to switch from my BB, I've got the 9700 on trial at the moment and it’s not what I was expecting :(

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  4. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

I'll stick with my HTC Desire, although I wish I could find the bloody battery charger I lost yesterday :mad

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  5. Gingerdave

Thought that one was USB?

6. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I am just not sure about this one, but you do have to love apple marketing making it out as if we could never video cll before or that the camera flash is a new invention.

I have one major problem and that is i dont use many minutes when calling, so getting a £35 contract for 24 months is just a waste of money.

I may just go for a 3gs when they come down or maybe a second hand one or a desire.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I'll be getting one
    had my 3G for 2 years now and its time for an upgrade, its slow, the battery now sucks, and its looking like its been through the wars (it has, i don't get how people break the damn thing, i frequently drop mine onto concrete with no problems, and i refuse to use those cases and screen shields!)

I'm looking forward to the multi tasking, the tethering and the battery life! the retina IPS display sounds awesome too, 78% of the pixel count of my iPad!!!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I'll stick with my Samsung, I suffer from a big pile of couldn't give a crap every time Apple's marketing machine roles out its latest shiny over priced gadgetry.

Apart from anything else all the 'is that an iphone/ipod/mac?' questions whenever I pull out any of my well designed and not built by Apple gadgets really gets on my wick.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  9. Gingerdave

I thought you would be Phoenix!

After my ankle gave out and I face planted on the street, throwing my phone into the road in the process it scratched the screen but not badly. Was in the local apple retailer here and a guy came in with a smashed screen! what the hell did he do, take a hammer to it?

Fair enough, lets be clear I love the apple stuff, however it doesnt blind me to other kit and I appreciate good design in anything. Which ones do you get questions on?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  10. Gingerdave

Double post - Move along...

11. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

So no to the EVO 4G then :D

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  12. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

I have a severely smashed screen, it IS possible.

I will be getting the new one also :)

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  13. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

The most annoying one was always questions about my (now quite elderly) Creative Zen Vision:M. When I first got it I had this conversation a lot:

Them: "Is that an iPod?"
    Me: "No, Its a Creative Zen MP3 player"
    Them: "Whats the difference?"
    Me: "you mean apart from looking completely different and being manufactured by different companies? Not a lot.... oh, this is cheaper"
    Them: "So an iPods better?"
    Me: "No, an iPod is more expensive, this does not always mean better"
    Them: *confused look*

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  14. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

I held off the iPod bandwagon for years, I had a 1st Gen Creative Nomad, a Creative Nomad Zen, I've been doing the mp3 thing since the mid 90s...

My Creative Nomad Zen served me well for years, it got a hdd upgrade and everything, but eventually it couldn't stay charged for a flight to the US, so i went and got a Zen Mini or something
    that thing ****ing sucked, the interface was lame, and the thing was broken in < 6 months
    i caved, bought a 80GB iPod G5 about 5 years ago, it still works fine and is permanently hooked to my cars entertainment system, it was the first apple product i ever bought

I don't think most vendors come close to the industrial design of apple, sure theres the 'sometimes they just dumb it all down too much' but theres a reason that ipod has become synonymous with mp3 player, much like we call hoovers hoovers in the UK :)

15. Gingerdave

I dont doubt its possible, - but if you dont mind me asking - what did you do?

Did the fact it didnt have a big half eaten fruit on it not give it away?

I had a zen for a while, but I found my orginal ipod nano had a much better battery life.

16. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Not I. Soon as I land in Ireland I'm getting an HTC Desire!

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  17. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

I was torn between the EVO 4G and the iPhone 4
    EVO 4G is bigger, but more open, but battery life sucks, and i use my phone -constantly-
    iPhone 4 wins, but it means another 2 years with ATT or a reall expensive buy out :)

18. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Android all the way Ryan! Look at the new features coming in future Android OS'! Beware the Apple blue fly light!

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  19. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Just dropped it! that's not to say these things aren't as tough as you say thought, it's been dropped many times without breaking! It just had a bad fall one time!

It does however still work perfectly despite the screen being cracked all over the place!

I'll up a pic later for a laugh. I have insurance though so will be claiming!

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  20. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I've been on an HTC Touch for a while now, and you know what - next time I 'upgrade' I'm tempted to get a phone that is actually just a phone.

I've realised that after the novelty wore off, well, I just use it for phoning people. And texting.

I don't want two cameras, I don't even want one camera. I've already got a camera that's better than anything they can stick in a phone.

I don't want to listen to music on it, I've got an iPod.
    I don't want to play games on it - I've got a DSi, PSP and an iPod.
    I don't want to spend a lot of money on it and I don't want to get mugged for walking down the street while using it.

As soon as it goes cordless, I'm getting one of these:

[​IMG]

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD