iPad

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rob1234, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Whats people think of it?

I might get one as I commute a long way might be handy, but don't think it is going to be as massive as people are saying it will be.

Certifications: A few.
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Nowadays apple's stuff is really popular, I am sure it's going to be up there... I am just curious to know how well the keyboard works and if it's comfortable to use...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. Danshand

Danshand Nibble Poster

Its essentially just a giant iphone...

-Uses the app store for its apps
    -Can only run one app at once
    -Uses multitouch and has 1 "home" button

Personally, I'll just stick with my 3GS and laptop. :)

Certifications: Many.
    WIP: MCITP, ITIL
  4. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

think they have missed a giant opportunity by simply making it a big iphone/ipod touch.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Hahaha what a pile of poop, I'll stick to my Archos 9.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Not really, they have hit the nail quite literally on the head

unfortunately us techies almost always look at Apple launches and go 'huh? whats the big fuss' because we are not who apple products are designed and aimed at, we are not your typical consumers

the iPhone ecosystem is what will drive the iPad, the app store, itunes store (movies/tv) make the iPad very simple to grow to be anything you want it to be, i dont know how many times I have sat around and tried to do / show something on my tiny iphone screen to others, the iPad will sit on coffee tables like magazines did of old, pick it up, read some websites, check your email, put it down

I think we will be suprised just how well it does, I've been a BIG tablet advocate since the late 90s when I played with my first slate, and when OneNote came out in office 03 I bought a Motion computing tablet, it was awesome, but huge and perhaps overpowered. the advent of lower cost hardware, capacative touch screens make them even more compelling today, and Apple provide the 'killer apps' in the form of the App store, every app in there is design for a portable touch interface!

This is where I fear the HP slate will fall over
    its great that its full blown windows and can thus run ANY windows app, but not all are designed for the interface (read:gonna be clunky) its probably Atom based (read: slow) but runs Windows (yay) so will run onenote (yay!!) and any LoB application that your company may or may not have (hello corporate world) as well as multi tasking

The iPhone ecosystem makes the iPad possible, when Tablets first hit consumer land, they failed miserably, there was nothing to do with them, nothing special, hardly any apps, the iPad already has 160'000 apps for it, in one easy to find place

now why the hell does Apples notes app not support drawing? lol

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

As someone who uses my iPhone more and more as my casual browsing computer, I can see some uses for the iPad (man, I really wish they'd chosen a different name for this device). I think there will be a lot of people who discount it as just a big iPod Touch, but I'm really curious to see what kind of apps get made specifically for this device. I think that'll really determine whether there's truly space for it between a phone and a laptop. I'm also really curious about the eBook reader part of the iPad. I read a lot of books and have been thinking about getting an eBook reader for a while. But, I couldn't justify paying $250-400 for a device that did essentially one thing. It'd be easier to justify a device that was an eBook reader as well as a fairly functional computing device.

I would have preferred that they use the full Mac OS X instead of the iPhone OS for the iPad, but I can see why they didn't. However, it would have been great to be able to run full-blown Mac apps on a device like this.

I'll reserve judgment until I can get my hands on one and see how functional the software keyboard and the eBook reader are.

8. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Yeah the ebook feature is good I think its going to cost $499 which isn't too expensive either.

Certifications: A few.
  9. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

Even if i was given one free i just wouldnt know when i would use it. I drive to and from work, sit at a PC 90% of the time at work and in the eveing i would use my Dell laptop as i run more than one program at once iTunes, Chrome, messenger, Virtual PC etc.

Certifications: MCITP:EA, CCNA
  10. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I thought I'd add that there are a lot of times that I fire up my laptop just to answer e-mail, browse the web, and do light blogging or forum posting. The iPhone is just sometimes too small to handle e-mail or any significant typing effectively. I can see how the iPad could take the place of a laptop for those activities. The question is really going to be, "If I already have a laptop, do I need this device?" As I mentioned earlier, like with any computing platform, it's all about the apps, and, other than what Apple announced yesterday, we don't know what kind of apps will be created for the iPad yet. I'm interested in seeing what people come up with.

11. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

My worries are it has no multi-tasking and such small storage.

Over all it's too large, limited and an epic fail.

I love my iPhone but also play with my Archos 605 way too much (I use that as my media player rather than the iphone).

If I were going for a tablet the iPad wouldn't be it.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Saw this on another forum, and it did make me laugh...

[​IMG]

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  13. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  14. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Oh, grow up! :rolleyes:

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  15. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I am far from being an Apple fanboy, but I have to admit, I think they got this right.
    If you're looking at the Kindle or similar, why pay almost the same amount for an e-reader when you can have the more functionality? For my purposes, I'd rather have this over a netbook (not a laptop or desktop).

I think they even got the price right. $499 is 50% what the early estimations were.
    Saying all that, I think I'll wait for the 2nd generation of the product. Want to see real reviews of this thing. 8)

16. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

I'm going to buy one

my Wyse Cloud app and Logmein Ignition both work
    so I can remote desktop into anything I damn well please :)

I can access my VMWare View Virtual desktop from anywhere, on a usable screen! life is good!

17. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  18. Col

Col Byte Poster

I love the iPhone and would definitely be tempted by a device like this. But I'm not sure it'll be the one. Think I might wait and see what the Microsoft Courier and the Ink Motion Adam pan out like too before I splurge my cash...

Certifications: A+ Network+ MCP MCDST MCITP
    WIP: CCENT Security+
  19. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Well Ryan has given it the thumbs up so this must be a good bit of kit!

Me personally, well I like the concept...I like it a lot! From my point of view, a virtual DJ console could be created on that with virtual sliders all controlled via the screen! So it won't be long before that comes up! Anyway...starting to babble now!

Does anyone know the UK RRP? Or is it a case of $ to £? Yes I'm lazy and haven't looked myself but the piano is calling me back!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  20. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

More pics Phoenix :) lets see it being useeeed!!

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3