ip address

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Mof, May 23, 2008.

1. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

hi everyone this will be a simple one for you

trying to find my ip address on my pc so i can tell my sort of son in law how to get his, as he wants to put it into his play station 3 to play online.

hope that makes sence
    Martin

WIP: C++ and A+
  2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

To get your IP type ipconfig at a command prompt.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

cheers night walker but which command prompt

4. NightWalker

Click Start then Run. Type cmd in the run box and click ok. A black window should open, this is where you type ipconfig and press enter.

5. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

Thankyou nightwalker thats perfact

6. NightWalker

No probs.

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hmm, i don't really see why the PS3 needs the IP address of your son in law's computer, as that's probably a local private IP address. I'm guessing because i don't own a PS3 that it needs the IP address that is assigned by your ISP, ie the one on the external interface of his Internet router. In which case you can use the following web site..

http://www.whatismyip.com

Or, it may need the internal IP address of the router, in which case, that will be the one that is listed as the *default gateway* when he does an IPconfig /all on his computer.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

yep - to play it online, you'll need the wan address as BR has mentioned.

9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Not necessarily Cheeks, it depends a great deal on how the internet is connected and setup at the place they want to get the PS3 online. The PS3 is no different to a PC when it comes to Internet access and the TCP/IP settings that it needs ie (IP, Subnet Mask & Default Gateway & DNS).

It certainly doesn't need a WAN address if you have a modem/router setup which the vast majority of people with broadband do have. The PS3 has a wireless card built into it also. So in order to get internet access (be it to browse or to game) it's just a case of enabling it on the PS3 and then letting it obtain all the settings it needs from the routers DHCP server (again, a pretty bog standard feature). So it will be using NAT much like any other devices attached to the modem/router.

If all you had was an ADSL modem then yes you may need to configure a WAN IP manually on the PS3 and the various other settings. If it's a cable modem, then it will automatically assign the PS3 a WAN IP etc..

I don't know if PS3's are capable of hosting online games as well as connecting to them. If they were, then in that case you may need to configure port forwarding on the router in order for others to join your server. I would imagine they are all hosted by Sony though, in which case NAT will work just fine with no extra configuration needed at all.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Just to add to the original question ... Finding out the IP address of the PC isn't really going to help I don't think. Unless the PC is connected directly to an ADSL modem (ie that's it's sole function) then it's going to have a private address as already mentioned. It's almost certain that this private address will have been obtained automatically by the PC (I say this, as if the son in law doesn't know how to get the IP already, then he's hardly likely to have manually configured it :) )

If ... (and it's not that likely) the PC in question is already configured with a static WAN address and it's connected to an ADSL modem, then you will need to disconnect the PC from the modem and connect the PS3 in it's place when you want to go online with it. You won't simply be able to try another address in the same range (unless you have been assigned multiple static IP's by your ISP).

Given all of the above, you will need to do ipconfig /all, not just ipconfig as that won't list the DNS addresses you will also need to get online. Sorry if I have just confused the hell out of you.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  11. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

sorry hav'nt come back to this sooner

he is with virgin media if that affects anything, also how do you find out wan address and ill pass the info on to him, supect ill have to go over and have a look myself. if i do that ill have to fight the gran-children off.