IP Address Range Change

Discussion in 'Networks' started by rusty155, Jun 19, 2006.

1. rusty155

rusty155 Bit Poster

Hi everyone!

Next month I have to do an IP Address Range change on the network here. I have approx 200 clients and 3 DC's.

I would really appreciate any help / step-by-step instructions that you can offer. I have already searched out anything with static addresses so I am not expecting any big headaches there - I'm more concerned with the actual change on the three Servers and what order I need to do things in.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Charlie.

WIP: A+
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

please tell me its going to be a DHCP server deployment? :ohmy if thats the case best practice you have your servers with static IP's...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. rusty155

rusty155 Bit Poster

Yeah! sorry! It is going to be a DHCP deployment and yes the servers will have static addresses!

I am interested to know exactly what changes and in what order I need to make in the DHCP and DNS settings???

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

5. rusty155

rusty155 Bit Poster

ok!

Sorry if i'm not being clear.

When changing the ip range, I will need to create a new scope in the DHCP, then presumably disable the current one before clearing the cache entries in the DNS of all three servers, restarting everything, crossing my fingers and hoping for the best!??

Basically I would like to know the process from start to finish of how to change the whole IP range across the network by changing the scope in the DHCP within a Server 2000 environment. What precautions do I have to take, flushing DNS entries etc.

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

no worries didnt the link help?

7. rusty155

rusty155 Bit Poster

Sorry - yeah great help thanks.

Think i'm just trying to make things more complicated than they actually are! I'll get back to you if I encounter any problems!

Thanks again,

Charlie

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

As you can see from my certs im only now doing MCSA (291 next) so im not much of an expert.... yet.... :biggrin

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Cached details on the client PCs can be a problem, if you can try and reboot them remotely after you have made the changes.

If you have time can you not set up a DC with a couple of clients in test domain before changing the live network, a test run always helps! 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. rusty155

rusty155 Bit Poster

I certainly will try if I get time. I have a spare DC I could use but am really low on clients!! However I don't implement the change until August 1st so I do have time - just want to do as much research as possible before the "live" change!!

11. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Have you considered using VMWare ?

12. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

rusty155,

First step is to map out the physical topology map. This a map of all clients, servers, hubs, switches, routers, and cables. Since you mention "IP address range", do the network map of the part of the network that will be changed over from the old IP scheme to the new. Why not post back when you've done this step?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  13. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

One thing to consider is lease times on the old IP addresses.