IP address block calculations

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by hailstorm, Sep 17, 2007.

1. hailstorm

hailstorm Bit Poster

Hi,

I'm only into chapter 2 of the MS Press revision book for 70-291 and its already making me go cross eyed.

Seems like there is quite a bit to memorize and also a bit of maths involved.

This includes memorizing powers of 2, subnet mask octet values, common subnet masks and converting from slash to dotted-decimal notation.

Memorizing values I think I'd just about cope with but when it comes to maths I suck. I can't devide or multiply to save my life.

Just wondering how much of this is needed? Can I get by with the windows calculator?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Certifications: ACTC, ACSP, MCP, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: ACSA
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Where I took my tests, no calculators allowed, and the Windows calculator was gone. Doing binary anding isn't multiplying or dividing, or even adding or subtracting. This is something you really need to get a handle on so you'll understand these concepts. I haven't taken 70-291, but when I took the equivalent for Win2K I had to do anding.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. hailstorm

hailstorm Bit Poster

hmm the book seems to warn against using decimal to binary conversions on the exam. Thats where the maths comes into it.

4. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

ive done the 291 exam and as far as i can remember there was no hard calculations using binary, most i got was calculating subnet ranges.

What is it you are struggling with?

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'd highly recommend Network+ before attempting 70-291.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. hailstorm

hailstorm Bit Poster

I've already completed MCDST. This is my last exam before I get MCSA. Would seem a bit of a diversion doing Network+ now. Not that I'm doubting it wouldn't help.

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Well... that's what's gonna help you with those subnetting questions. Otherwise, you'll have to wade through the swamp and hope for the best...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. hailstorm

hailstorm Bit Poster

Thanks for the advice. I'll consider the Network+. Anything that helps break down this monster exam. Another cert on the list certainly isn't a bad thing.