IOS

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by kammodo, Apr 14, 2008.

1. kammodo

kammodo Nibble Poster

Does anyone know if you can upgrade a cisco routers IOS via a telnet session?

Certifications: CCNA R+S, CCDA , CCNP r+s , CCDP
    WIP: CCIE
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Are you asking if you can copy the files over Telnet, or are you asking whether you can copy the files via TFTP by issuing the command over a Telnet session?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. kammodo

kammodo Nibble Poster

The first one. If your having to upgrade the IOS on a large network or if the routers are a pain to get to, would it be possable to telnet into each one and upgrade remotely, or would it wipe the ip address upon re-boot and end the session? I know it is best to do it manually, but still like to know if it is possable?

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Unless there's some way I don't know about, then no, that's not possible.

If the routers are a pain to get to, you can still Telnet into the router and then copy the image using TFTP. And... pray it comes up on a reboot. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. kammodo

kammodo Nibble Poster

Yeah sounds too risky. Believe it or not I wasnt beig super lazy, just wanted to know if it was possible. Better start upgrading those routers now I suppose (After NCIS of course!)

Thanks for the insight

6. phatboy

phatboy Nibble Poster

you wont loose the IP or settings when you upgrade the IOS, as they are in different memory

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CCA 5.0, MCP 70-290 70-270 70-431
    WIP: CCNP R&S, CCNA Wireless