1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IOS licensing - CISCO equipment

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by clunesy, Jun 21, 2006.

1. clunesy

clunesy New Member

Hi. I'm currently researching the purchase of Cisco routers and switches for CCNA study. What's the deal with the Cisco IOS ? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that license is non-transferrable and you have to buy a fresh one from Cisco. I'm not bothered about the legality of this for educational purposes, but what are the practicalities ? How is the IOS license protected ? Or can you just download the latest version, and install it - no questions asked ? Would be good to know.

cheers

Clunesy

Certifications: MCPs (Net Ess, NTWS 4.0, NTS 4.0)
    WIP: CCNA
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

As a far as I know I don't think that you can simply download it. But then this is something I have never encountered before, so don't really know the answer.

Anyone? :unsure

3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I believe you can download it if you have a Cisco contract.

I'd ask around here at work, but as we have outsourced Cisco support I can't find anybody that knows!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

IOS images are only available via CCO and require either a valid support contract, partner status or a CCIE account i believe

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. clunesy

clunesy New Member

So if you buy 2nd hand hardware, you just have to hope the right IOS is already installed ?

Certifications: MCPs (Net Ess, NTWS 4.0, NTS 4.0)
    WIP: CCNA