Invoicing software...

Discussion in 'Software' started by albertc30, Jul 21, 2010.

1. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Hello everybody.
    I want to startup a small home base business and I am looking for an invoice software.
    Anybody recomend anything easy to use and afordable?
    Cheers.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  2. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

Sage now do Sage Invoicing which is free

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

LOL I was going to say Accpac from Sage but that's not free...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Why not simply use Excel or Word?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Exactly. No need to buy anything else until the orders start flooding in. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. albertc30

Hello SimonD,

How's it going there? It has been a while.
    I must say you are right but I am not so good with excel I must say.
    I mean, I can all basic formulas to get my results but how about a fix field that will generate my next invoice number? Is it possible to achieve this in excel?
    Any comments are, as always, well appreciated guys.

7. albertc30

I can see your point mate.
    I guess a cheap or maybe free solution would help me keep everything in one place alone I supose... but then again it might just be what I will do. I have tested this SliQ Invoicing and Quoting software and it only costs £29.99 and it seems to do the trick but no accountancy or cash records.

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you're not good with Excel, this is the perfect opportunity for you to GET good with Excel. If you're a tech, it's almost a must-do.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. albertc30

Hey BosonMichael.

I am not bad with it and I must say I do love excel.
    I have done a excel version of my payslip at work to work out my weekly pay accordingly with the hours worked and it works like a treat.
    I used to hate excel as I did not know how to use it 10 years back, now I love it.
    But nevertheless, I have never used macros for example and more complex formulas.

10. albertc30

Can I have in excel a drop down menu for clientes and items?
    Can I have this data being extracted via a small access database or another excel sheet?

11. BosonMichael

Yeah, for this, you really don't need macros. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. albertc30

Just seen it on youtube, now this was just an item list but can I associate a price to the item?

13. BosonMichael

If you want to get complex and use them, then do so. I was simply saying that you don't need something complex for what you want to do. :)

14. albertc30

Hello everyone.
    Thanks for all input so far.
    I have managed to do this invoice template on excel.
    Please feel free to take a look at the attached file.
    I am loving even more excel and the drop down lists.
    However, I do I get, when I select from the drop down menu from item description, the fields unit price and vat percentage?
    How do I associate them?
    I have been on YouTube and Google and either I am looking for the wrong thing or I don't know what to look for as I am getting lots of information about drop down lists.
    Any help really appreciated.
    Cheers.

Attached Files:

15. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

When I had my business I used to use THIS which was excellent. I had the PC reseller version and it acted as a quote system, customer databse and did invoices as well as recurring invoices.

It was truly excellent and the product support was very good too. May be a bit outside of what you want to pay but there is a trial available.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  16. albertc30

Hello everybody.
    To put an end to this post I would like to express my gratitude to everybody for their help and time.

BosonMichael man, I love VLOOKUP. It works as a treat.

It took me a while to find exactly what I was looking for but in the end I got it.

Never have used VLOOKUP, just normal formulas really and also the IF function to return me the sales by days.

Once again everybody, it is done and thanks to you all.

To anybody that WANTS to have a look at or maybe use it, I do not mind, see attachment.

Attached Files:

17. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

That's a nice looking invoice you have there - well done ! :D

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  18. BosonMichael

Never used that function before... will have to check it out sometime. :) I've used IF a lot. Good job, man!

19. albertc30

Thanks for the comments guys.

The logo there is just a default from office, I am using another one.
    It took me a while as I have said before, I don't consider myself to be an ace with excel but I do love its capabilities.

I used to hate it with a passion. I still remember when it all changed.
    I was a salesman at the time, in Portugal. I had my manager at the time working on a spreadsheet and saw him doing this cell equals that one plus this one. I thought, "That’s how it works?" and since then I love it.

Of course one has to be good with numbers if not then it could be a nightmare.

Once again, thanks to you all guys and girls and a very nice weekend.

P.S.: I have changed it slightly now. I now have a dropdownmenu for customers using data validation and rest info being looked up using VLOOKUP function. It beats having to type your customer's details all the while.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010