1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Invalid drive Z: ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by philbenson, Nov 17, 2005.

1. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

I've just been trying to install Nortons Antivirus on my laptop and it has been repeatedly aborting with an error message about an invalid Z: drive. In My Computer, I had a drive mapping to a share on another PC as the Z: drive. This PC however is currently switched off and so I disconnected the mapping to free up the Z: drive path.

My USB stick is configured as the Z: drive when it is plugged in, but it has no relevant files on it which I can think should affect software installation.

Having said that, I have just plugged the stick in (configured as the Z: drive) and the AV software installed fine.

Any suggestions?

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Didn't you just fix your own problem there? :blink

3. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

I guess so. I was just curious to know why the Nortons installer should care about whether there was a Z drive or not when it was being installed from the completely separate D: drive.

Had the CD drive been configured as the Z: drive, or had I been trying to install Nortons from the shared drive mapping of the PC which is turned off, then the problem would indeed have been obvious

4. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

thats probably because nortons is a steaming pile of rancid poo :D

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  5. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

i concur Captain. :biggrin

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  6. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

I had this problem before with a few software installations.

Turns out it was because my windows installation was on a different drive to C:

To solve it i made a vitual drive c: by mapping it to a new folder with the SUBST command in DOS.

I then continued to install to my windows installation drive without a hitch and deleted the virtual drive after.

Took me ages to figure this out.

Thought it would be worth a mention.

Neall

WIP: A+
  7. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Well something untoward is going on because I cannot install ANY software without having my damn usb stick inserted. Now no one can tell me that is normal! If I try I just get the little dialogue box coming up with the same old message Invalid Z: drive.

A pile of poo Nortons may be (anyone care to be a little more specifc about that (?) because I haven't experienced any problems with it up to now and if any attempted software installation is producing the problem I don't see why I should blame Nortons explicitly.

Otherwise I think a hard disk format and software rebuild is called for.

8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

have you tried removing the drivers for the usb stick?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. AJ

AJ Administrator Administrator

Just a quick thought. Do you have Norton's Go-Back installed.

I had some issues with this a while back when I was trying to re format a drive and add a slave HDD into a PC.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Looking at doing ..................