Introduction and advise?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Dspowell2003, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Dspowell2003

Dspowell2003 New Member

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums so i thought that i should introduce myself and ask for a bit of advise.

My name is David and i am about to start studying for the CompTIA A+. I have always worked well with computers and do have some technical knowledge. I also have a BTec diploma in IT although this is more office/admin based so is not really relevant.

I have decided to self study for the A+ and have purchased A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Sixth Edition by Mike Meyers. It is my intention to study this and tinker around with some old base units and then take the exams, probably some time in March. Is this a good book for this qualification and will i need any others?

Once i have passed (hopefully) the A+ my intention is to try and find an entry level job (I'm not expecting a brilliant or particularly well paid job) then i can work to get more experience and also achieve more certifications (probably MCP) and gradually work my way up the career ladder.

One of the main things which is worrying me however, is that i do not have any relevant work experience, so finding a job even with the A+ will be difficult. So i was wondering whether upon achieving the A+ would it be worth getting some unpaid/voluntary work in a local PC repair shop in order to get work experience. To increase my knowledge and chances of obtaining paid employment.

Any help or advise would be great, and I'm sorry for the essay!

WIP: CompTIA A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Sounds like a good plan

The A+ is an entry level cert for people looking fro entry level/trainee positions in IT. Other certs to consider are compTIA N+ and Microsofts MCDST

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Depending on your situation it might be worth looking for a trainee role now, to accompany your A+ studies. I've just started the N+ course, and it extends the knowledge of my A+

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

We all started out without experience, once upon a time... so don't let it worry you so much!

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!