Introducing Myself

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by candyman, Aug 9, 2005.

1. candyman

candyman Bit Poster

Hi everyone,

I've joined this forum because I was looking for reviews and information about the CIW Professional / CIW Enterprise Developer courses and training providers including Computeach, UK-open learning and Skills Train (the latter sent a salesman over who recommended the CIW professional Application Developer at the whopping price of £2000+). Then I found no UK adverts for Web professionals specifying CIW training..

Anyway, I have an intermediate amount of systems development experience (C/C++/UNIX/Oracle/GIS) and 3D graphics experience but it is all 5 years out of date. Needless to say I have recieved no invites to interviews despite recent Web design experience for art installations (Dreamweaver/Flash). My background includes two Masters courses (Remote Sensing and Computer Graphics) and research in Virtual Reality (because I thought the skills were transferable to the games industry).

In the last four years I have been working in call centres and doing art/video/animation/music production and find every industry I am interested in highly competitive and very choosy at selecting candidates for interview from applications and demos (i.e. media/wed design/computer games). Now I'm looking for a stable career with interesting and varied work and promotion prospects but no organisations except call centres, and agencies with sales or manual work will take me.

Currently I am unemployed but getting no money because I got so sick of call centres that I got sacked two months ago. Rapidly running out of money too :(

The options I have are to get another call centre job, do loads of voluntary work creating Websites/building demos, set up my own business, or upgrade my skills (likely to be all four at the same time).

That is my current situation - is this similar for many of you?

I could summarise the above as follows - Got loads of university qualifications, out of date IT experience and stuck in low paid work/unemployed. On yeah I'm 34 too. Is age the final nail in the coffin?

- Tim.

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Tim - thanks for the background. I wont attempt to answer the bulk of your points, but ...

...behave yourself, youngster - respect your elders around here (for we are many ! :ohmy )

:biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Tim. Welcome to Certforums. Age better not be a limitation. I'm 51 and find myself gainfully employed. :tongue

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi Tim and welcome to the forums :biggrin

For the record I'm 40 and retrained for IT as well :blink

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong