INTRO passed. Now for the ICND!

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Mr-P, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Mr-P

Mr-P New Member

Hi guys

I passed the INTRO exam today with a 983. I was a bit apprehensive with going down the self study route as to whether or not I was ready but it turned out to be pretty straight forward.

Now to get the ICND done before the beginning of November.

Has anyone done the 2 exam route via self study that can give me a rough idea how long it took to pick up the content for the 2nd exam, compared to the INTRO? Just want to gauge how much cramming I need to do in the next 3 months or so.

I have access to a fairly decent lab at home.

Many thanks.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: ?
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

From what I understand, ICND is much, *much* more difficult than INTRO. Study well.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass, you are half way there.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Congratulations, Mr-P. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Congrats.

WIP: CCNP
  7. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Congratulations! I think the books from Wendell Odom are best (CiscoPress).

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  8. Mr-P

Mr-P New Member

Thanks guys.

@Tinus1959 - I used the Cisco Press and Sybex books for the INTRO and will be using the same for the ICND. They are good study materials.

@BosonMichael - I'm not worried too much about the difficulty, it was more the feasibility of the timescale of things. My problem is lacking motivation with self study at times. :)
    I know the ICND is more in depth but I'm quite happy with VLSM and subnetting in my head which most people seem to struggle with. I've been working with cisco IOS day to day for about the last 4 years but it's limited to diagnosis from a LAN perspective. Checking routing issues, IP overlaps, CNR provisioning issues and such like. I have no real experience of the WAN side of things which was my main worry when reading the content for the INTRO. From the brief look I've made of the ICND the topics don't seem as broad as the INTRO, just more in depth. I know I need to crack Frame Relay and ISDN as my experience there is NIL but I think the lab setup will help with that hopefully.

To be honest the INTRO didn't really stretch me from a knowledge point of view. I had over 25 minutes left when I finished and I think there was only 1 question that caused me to think for a bit. Hopefully the ICND will go as well or it's back to the drawing board. I'm hoping to be ready for mid October to leave enough time for a re-sit if necessary. You can never be too careful! :D

9. BosonMichael

The reason I mention the difficulty is that increased difficulty usually means increased timescales to study due to the increased difficulty. :)

INTRO won't really stretch you from a knowledge point of view. Cisco is aware of that, and that's why they split the knowledge more evenly between the new ICND1 and ICND2 exams.

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. Mr-P

Mr-P New Member

Thanks BosonMichael.

I was looking through the chapters of the Cisco Press ICND to get a better idea of content and I feel a bit more at home with this, more so than the INTRO. For me the INTRO just seemed to be a lot of new stuff that I had no real world exposure to previously and a lot of theory. I prefer to get my hands dirty rather than memorising facts and figures. The ICND appears to be more hands on from what I can see, having glanced through the book, which is more within my comfort zone. :)

I'll crack on with the studying and see how it goes.

Thanks again guys.

11. BosonMichael

Excellent! Let us know how you get on!