Intro & 1st Interview - Job Description Questions

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Kerfuffle, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Nibble Poster

All you good, good people,

I've been lurking around on these forums for a little while now, posted a few times but now I think it's time to introduce myself properly.

I'm 38 and have been plodding along doing driving jobs and other types of work for most of my working life until one day, a couple of years back, I suddenly realised that computers (which I'd tinkered with ever since my dad bought me a ZX81) were what I really wanted to get into - careerwise.

I went to college to take a couple of exams, one of which, no-one has heard of, and the other is a C&G Diploma which seems equally worth nothing either. However, I was unemployed during all of this (I still am, BTW) and so I got to do them for a pittance and at the end of it I managed to get my A+ through the college for free.

That was last year. Then suddenly when I thought things were looking up, my dad died while cycling to work one day and it ripped me to shreds. It messed me up with studying, job-hunting etc. I had to help my mum get through it etc etc. So, unfortunately, my CV has a two year gap in it which I've tried to fill by 'being at college' for two years intead of just over one.

Anyway, time is a great healer, as they say, and I picked myself up eventually and also picked up a couple of Network+ books and after a kerfuffle finding a place that did cheap exam vouchers, when my voucher arrives this week I shall be doing the exam as soon as I can book it.

I've been following all the threads on here with all the excellent advice regarding CVs, jobhunting etc. Like some of the other people on here, I've been getting downright depressed about the whole process of breaking-in to the IT industry. For instance in the last 28 days I've applied for 73 jobs - mainly through sites such as Jobserve, Jobsite, CWjobs and a host of others.

Out of all those I've had 5 agency telephone calls promising the world - nothing.
    1 telephone interview - which I thought went well and, indeed, the guy said he'd like to arrange an interview in person. Then I hear nothing. Chased it up twice by email. No reply.

And one interview At last! For a PC Support Technician for a software developer/publisher.

Anyway, this interview is what I really want to ask about. The job description goes something like this:

Hands-on Win2k and XP skills
    Able to work dilligently with minimum of supervision
    Able to solve Windows and PC related problems using Internet and other tools
    Able to carry out research tasks independently
    Responsible for 1st line support of Windows workstations and selected server functions
    Very basic systems admin tasks on Unix Servers

And that's it. That's all I know. Their website just sells their products to the banking and finance industry.

Anyone here have anything to offer on this? BTW I don't have any real knowledge of servers. I have never even seen a Unix server! I'm worried about this aspect the most.

Thanks for putting up with quite a long and drawn out post and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Certifications: A+, Network+, ITIL v3, 70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Sorry to hear all your tales of woe, chin up as they say. I can't say much that hasn't already been said plenty of times before except don't worry if you don't meet 100% of the job criteria. If you excel in the other areas or just come across as a very employable person, any employer worth their salt should be willing to invest some time to fill the gaps in your knowledge. Good luck mate.:D

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Nibble Poster

Thanks for the encouragement Baba.

This interview of mine is coming up on Friday 17th Nov and as I read over the job description again and again I am wondering if it would be a good idea to email them to basically ask for a more detailed job description, main duties and responsibilities etc.

But I don't want them to think that I've lost the original advert ( which I had BTW - Doh:rolleyes: but managed to get another from the Jobcentre ) I mean, in a way it basically tells me what they want and what I'll be doing - but, to me, it's just that: basic.

Am I asking too much?
    Some companies have very detailed info about all they require of you.

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I wouldn't bother with emailing them, the job description has probably been kept basic so that when you are in place they can see what you are good at and what needs development.

The key thing in interviewing is to be confident, and if you don't know how to do something, simply say so, but also state that you know where to find out.

Good luck. 8)

5. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Nibble Poster

So the bit in the job description that says,

"...responsible for first line support of MS workstations and selected server functions as well as very basic sys admin tasks on Unix servers" :eek:

Err, what will that likely entail - the server bits I mean?

I'll have to be honest to them and say I've never done any server tasks. Never seen a Unix server. :(

6. shadybrady

shadybrady Bit Poster

Server tasks is a bit of a wide ranging line.??.

I think it may entail things like :

- Starting and stopping the print spooler
    - Maybe checking/editing login scripts
    - Creating/amending profiles and administering profile storage areas
    - May involve backup software / tape drives

As for the unix side of things have a gander online for unix links to what books to buy etc to improve your unix knowledge.

Shady

Certifications: BSc. Hons, MCP 70-210
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, MCTS / MCITP
  7. anbetophillip

anbetophillip Banned

Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.

8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Possible, but unlikely since the thread was last commented on over 3 years ago. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  9. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Nibble Poster

Wow...has it been 3 years already?

Well, I never did get that job but I did end up eventually working for a very big company that is involved in the government's BSF programme (Building Schools for the Future). Started as a 1st line support technician answering phones and worked up from there.

Left the company for a smaller one and I'm now managing the network for a secondary school. Never looked back. So keep on plugging away and eventually you'll get your break. The first job is the hardest cos you'll have no experience. It takes a brave employer, I guess, but they're out there.

And keep studying. I had my A+ and Network+ completed before getting my first break.

Good luck!

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It's clear that this guy is simply using the forum to spam. I reported him the last time he did it, and nothing was done... could we get rid of him and his posts?

Last edited: May 8, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Done 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Props, as always. :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Just come across this thread and yes it's obviously a very old one, but good that the OP has updated, great to see how you have progressed in 3 years :)

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+