Interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ant2005uk, Mar 9, 2005.

1. ant2005uk

ant2005uk Byte Poster

I have an interview for a 1st Line support role next week, just thought I would share my success with you guys and if you know any interview tips or questions that are likely to pop up? im very excited about this as it gives me the perfect chance to get my foot in the door and gain some experience :-) wish me luck guys, and any tips or advice would be much appreciated. Cheers

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Congratulations and good luck. As far as interview advice, there's a thread pinned to the top of hte Employment & Jobs forum with numerous pieces of good advice. If you haven't taken a look at it yet, I highly recommend that you do.

Knock 'em dead, next week. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Good luck ant - sounds like this could be your break, m8 :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Good luck m8, keep us informed :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

|Good luck mate! :D

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Best of luck mate. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

You'll do well on the interview. "Kick butt; take names" After all...you are the "Ant-Man" :wink:
    [​IMG]

8. ant2005uk

ant2005uk Byte Poster

Thanks u lot, well it will iniatialley start off as a temp/ongoing contract its for an agency, but if I play my cards right they say it would turn into a perm job after 2 months and maybe open new doors to say a 2nd line job or something. Ill keep my fingers crossed its worth a try and gets me away from my current unsatisfying role in an office. Starting rate is around 13k

9. ant2005uk

ant2005uk Byte Poster

Just 2 days to go now, getting nervous lol. Ill keep you informed

10. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Good Luck Ant hope it goes well, do you what you would be supporting? where abouts in the UK are you?

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  11. ant2005uk

ant2005uk Byte Poster

From what they have told me the job will involve supporting clients and businesses with their win 2K and M$ office applications. The company provide helpdesk support to businesses and clients throughout the uk. Sounds like a more of a software support role will be very interesting. Im from Derbyshire.

12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Alot of support jobs are supporting MS apps and OSes. You'll earn alot about them when you try to get them to work. :tongue

13. ant2005uk

ant2005uk Byte Poster

Thats the interview done, have to say I think it went really well and they seem very impressed when I told them about what I have done to help friends and family etc with their pc problems. Even when I told them I did something as simple as reinstall windows for a friend they seemed very interested lol. Well I think they seemed impressed overall, most of the q's were basic customer service and not too technical. Will just have to wait and see now.

14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

This is the tough part...waiting. Good luck, Ant. We are all cheering you on. :biggrin

15. ant2005uk

ant2005uk Byte Poster

They told me I would only have to wait a couple of days, I was like thinking wow thats quick lol. Ive waited upto 2 months for some places to respond. From what they were saying it sounds as though it wont be too technical to start with, maybe just logging the calls and passing them to second line but after a while ill be expected to solve a certain percentage of the problems. Not sure if this was how it worked for any other people here when they started on 1st line? The company said there are always opportunities for ppl with over a yrs 1st line experience but no way will it be easy lol.

16. ant2005uk

ant2005uk Byte Poster

Tripwire do u work in IT m8? I notice u have a number of certs have u ever worked in 1st line by any chance

17. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

My current job is as the technical writer for a small software firm in the northwestern US. Most of my previous experience has been as a free lance tech. I've done a ton of Ethernet, Hardware, and OS rollouts.

I did a temp job for the IT dept of a small city government for three months doing hardware and appplication support. Every little glitch an end user had, from the City Treasurer to the clerical staff landed in my lap. Great learning experience and very humbling.

I also worked for six months as a contract worker at HP supporting their Usability Lab. Basically, they tested HP websites tied to the support of their various products. I had to make sure all of the hardware and software used in the testing environment was up to snuff and be on hand, especially during tests, when something went fubar, fixing it in the shortest amount of time possible.

I've upgraded UNIX servers, installed about a billion Windows XP machines, decommissioned NT servers, installed and upgraded Lotus Notes, Installed and upgraded Cisco switches and routers, upgraded Token Ring networks to Ethernet networks and lots of other fun stuff.

I also pulled a stint with a wireless outfit but for them, I mostly was the "spyware" king, trying to uninfest PCs that some pesky teenager inadvertently installed. :sigh:

Now that I've recited my "list of sins", why do you ask? :biggrin

18. ant2005uk

ant2005uk Byte Poster

Didnt get it :-(

19. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

We've all been there, Ant. I interviewed for a help desk position at a state agency twice. Both times I felt I turned in a great interview. In the end, they picked someone else. There's a thousand different reasons why they could have picked another person and none of them have to do with you not being a good worker or qualified enough or anything else.

As a veteran of the "rejection wars", one thing I'd like to pass along is to not take rejection personally. It has nothing to do with you as an individual. Go off and lick your wounds for a day, then get back on the horse and ride. :)

20. ant2005uk

ant2005uk Byte Poster

What I cant understand is I left the interview feeling very positive thinking I had a very good chance, because it seemed to go so well and they seemed so impressed. I will not give up, dont you worry. I have applied for several other vacancies and still waiting to hear. There is still hope and no way will I give up trying. I have even been down to the IT department where I work to volunteer to work on the helpdesk,hopefully they will let me do this and gain some experience and you never know.