Interview tomorrow

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by twizzle, Dec 13, 2010.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Guys i've managed to get an interview tomorrow with the NHS for 1st line support (not a move up but better pay). Apart from the usual tech questions, can anyone give me advice about what else they may ask? anything specific to NHS and IT? Would they expect me to know what Prince2 is for example do you think? Or what systems they use etc? Normally i feel most of my interviews go well, its the lack of knowledge in certain areas that lets me down. So any help?

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Not really much help on what they can ask you. Sorry
    I don't think they will expect you to know what Prince2 is. Was it on the job spec?

Good luck in the interview!

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Best to have a look at the job spec again mate. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Last time I looked at an IT job at the NHS (a couple of years ago), they wanted basic knowledge of ITIL - if that helps :)

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Good luck twizz. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Good luck, mate :D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  7. trebor_88

trebor_88 Byte Poster

Good Luck!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCITP:EDST, MCTS:7
    WIP: VMware VCP 5, MCSE and CCNA
  8. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

Best of luck m8 tell us how you get on :thumbleft

Certifications: a+
    WIP: 70-270 / 70-680
  9. Tempest

Tempest New Member

Good luck. Fingers are crossed for you.

Certifications: MCSA:Messaging 2003
    WIP: MCITP
  10. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Well thanks for teh good luck wishes guys.

Had the interview and all seemed to go well. Usual questions about how you work in a team, can you prioritise work loads etc. 2 Scenario questions on what do you do if..... and then just general questions about my skills, abilities and background. I felt it went well, but only time will tell. Theres a lot of people going for roles like these and competition is tough so i wont get my hopes up, but at lest it wasnt a disaster.

11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Glad to hear that Twizzle... Wish you all the best and I am sure you'll find something soon, just keep at it!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  12. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Well got the email about this job today. Was a no thanks not this time one. SO no luck. They did say i was a strong candidate and teh guy was very apolgetic saying he had wanted to call me directly but didnt have my number (was deff on application form).

Well will just try again for another job. Mind you timing couldnt have been worse as we'd all had individual talks with teh managers today, and basically told changes were afoot. We all either do more work (even including at home), learn more (again in out own time) or they can find 1000s of graduates better qualified to do our work on less money. Its not liek we're even paid well (less than 17k as a manager!), and now they want us to do stuff in our own private time for work without any increase or help and support. Noone was very happy about this. Still i'll keep looking.

13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Bad luck mate, I hope something turns up soon.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Sorry to hear that mate... Honestly don't let this get to you, there are so many jobs out there and I am sure you qualify for many of them. It's a matter of being at the right place at right time.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  15. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Chin up mate, don't give up! :D

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  16. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Unlucky mate. You'll get there in the end.

I wouldn't be so miffed about being asked to do more than 'work to the rule', there's not a single day that I'm not working extra time at home, off my own back, unpaid. :)

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  17. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I wouldnt mind if it was off my own back, then i'd be doing it from choice. Its the fact that thier telling us they expect us to be doing it with no offer of support or incentive. We dont even get help in teh office as it is. we're expected to know everything thats thrown at us right away, not even a google. and then they wont train us when theres a clear need for it or provide us with a means to learn.
    For example one of our customers has asked us to support thier macs, noone in support has any expericnce with macs. So we're expected to know how to install teh OS if need be, set up emails, configure printers, software and do servers on macs. But we arent givena mac server or a mac desktop to try with. And if we google it tehy say "dont you know that? you should do". thats just one example, we also do websites and had to setup paypal. Noone has php experience which paypal recommends among other things, but they moan at us for taking so long to get it working... what do they expect? it takes time to learn it from scratch and understand it. but enough bitchin, im about a bitter a lemon in a pint of teh yorkshire good stuff! :p

18. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Sounds like your management are ****ers haha :D

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  19. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I agree, this kind of attitude from management is definitely not good. I am sure you guys explained to them what it takes to provide this kind of support? Also does management have any technical background? I know that some management with no IT experience seem to be horrible at giving deadlines as they don't know what it takes to get something done. On the other hand if they're reasonable that's a different story. With me, I just end up explaining to my boss if something would take longer and he's pretty understanding.