Interview today - 1st line at Investment bank in London

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by steve_f, Jun 18, 2008.

1. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I'd bet they were really interested in you and thought it would work. Then reviewed you and other candidates and realized it was "too perfect" and things may not last.

At least you were qualified and were in the short-list. Better than most of the other candidates probably :)

2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Don't let it bother you Steve, as you'd find a lot of employers in the city tend to use this excuse or that other candidate better matched the role. I know how it feels been there, but look on the bright side as one door shuts another opens. Best wishes dude:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Sorry to hear that! But with all the sh1t going on in the finance sector this may actually be a blessing in disguise!

As one door closes another one opens!

To be honest, the interview process sounded pretty OTT for a 1st line role. I once applied for a job with RM as a 1st line bod back in 2003 - they phoned me up and did a telephone interview of which I passed. When they emailed the interview invite I was quite shocked at the process:

20 Minute Presentation on any IT subject of my choice
    Psychometric Tests - one in the morning and one in the afternoon
    2 Stage Interview
    20 Minute Role Play exercise

All in all it required the entire day off and a 100 mile trip to Oxford. The job was actually based 10 miles from me!

...and the salary on offer? £16,000

I called the HR guy and asked him if it was all for real - he replied that it was! So I retracted my application and he put the phone down on me! lol

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Good points by the others... but one thing that hasn't been mentioned is this: perhaps they just found someone cheaper, and they don't want to reveal that they're a buncha tightwads... so if they tell you you're overqualified, they "save face". Pfft, it's not like you walked in there with an MCSE or something, ya know?

In any case, if it's true that you'd likely get bored, then they've done you a favor. :) Best of luck on your next attempt! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

Thanks for the condolences everyone.

I have decided to finish my MCSA before looking again, that way I can look for some 2nd line roles instead. Definitely won't be overqualified there!!

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, CCSA
  6. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I had something similar last year, nailed an interview with IT guy, had to have an interview with the head bean counter, who had basically been quite rude to me all throughout the interview, including making several accusations which were unfounded, anyways didnt get the job.

On the feedback call i said "well to be honest its their loss not mine" recruitment droid said "you cant say that", so i responded "i think youll find i just did" and said thanks for her time.

The feedback re my interview was garbage, and i was back in work a couple of weeks later so it happens.

Brush yourself off and keep looking, its like finding a nice bird, just play the numbers ;)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal