Interview Tips

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Jaron78, May 29, 2010.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Afternoon All,
    Just a quick one.

I have finally managed to secure an Interview for a local firm. Its a 6 Month contract paying £11.00ph. The role is Desktop Support Analyst. Now I will be honest, I REALLY want this job. I have done some research into the company but just wondered if any could offer me some advice for the Interview next Friday?

Have EVERYTHING that could possibly be crossed, crossed so wish me luck :)

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Just remember that the interview is a two way process, not only are they seeing if you fit their team but also you are seeing if you actually do want to work with them.

As far as questions go that depends on you really, questions I have asked in the past have included questions on dress code, weekend working, training and expectations (as in what they expect to accomplish over the next year etc).

Good luck :)

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Good luck Ron 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Just be yourself and be honest as well. If you don't know something say so otherwise you run the risk of digging a big hole for yourself and make sure you know your CV inside out.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  5. volatile

volatile Nibble Poster

You've already started doing what I would have recommended; which is, doing some research on the company. I would take that even further and ask questions regarding the company. This will demonstrate an earnest interest in working for them rather than just someone looking for a paycheck. Other questions I would ask would involve what growth opportunities you can expect and things like that. This will demonstrate your desire to excel and not just be a run of the mill wage slave.

Certifications: Computer Science Degree, A+
  6. Jaron78

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update.
    Interview went OK. Asked me a couple of questions which I answered, then asked me one which I knew but got a bit nervous and said Im not 100% sure, however, when he said the answer, I explained that I knew the answer and used it in a correct sentance.

Its Shift work supporting a European Support desk, with the IT Manager based in Sweden. 6am till 2pm and 2pm till 10pm. Looks like a fantastic job and only 15 mins from my front door. Even if I dont get it, I certainly feel that I know my planned Job Path :D

7. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Nice one glad the interview went well and I think you did the right thing saying your not too sure about the answer as I think a lot of people fall into the trap of trying to answer a question they don't know and some might be lucky in getting it right but others dig a hole trying to answer it.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  8. Jaron78

Cheers Slypie.

It was something like if a printer cant print then what command was you use.
    The Guy said he was concerned about my lack of experience, but agreed with me that the best way to gain experience is the hands on approach. He also said I showed that I really wanted the job and wasnt some fly by merchant who was only there for the money lol.

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

They would have known about your experience level before the interview so dont read too much into that.

You did the right thing by saying you were not too sure about the answer, if you try to BS the guys then it wont help.

Hope all goes well mate. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. Jaron78

Cheers Sparky, got everything crossed :)

11. Jaron78

Plus if I get the job, Im going to book to goto Vegas again lol

12. Jaron78

Just a quick update, been pestering the Agent to get some information and as of this moment, still no decision has been made :(

Call me impatient but I just want to know one way or another.
    Also, chatting to a friend of mine working in the states and with experience, contract work can pay up to £20.00 per hour. Is this correct or is he on a wind up?

Cheers

13. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Any job can pay that and more, depending on the job.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

£20.00 per hour?!? With experience, contract work in the US typically pays between $75-125 per hour, and can pay upwards of $250 per hr!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. Jaron78

Sorry, I meant Desktop Support Analyst role in the UK :)

16. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

some contract jobs can pay a lot more than that nut usually they are for experienced people who can just come in sit down and start doing what they do.

I know a guy who got a similar contact job paying him £300 a day which was 8 hours a day which is £37.50 an hour.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

My first IT employer - 12 years ago - charged customers $75-$125 an hour for my services as a desktop support tech.

And, to be fair, you DID say you were speaking with "a friend of yours working in the states"... so, unless you mean a different "states" than the United States, those would be the same ones I'm talking about.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually rates really do change with skill and job, I have seen places where for what they want skillset wise they should be paying £400+ per day but they are only offering £250 and wondering why on earth they aren't filling the position.

I have to be honest tho and say that £20ph for a desktop\service desk person is somewhat over the odds, of course it again depends on the kind of work (1st, 2nd or 3rd line) as well as who is hiring (bank\insurance or local government).

If you want an idea of what the rates are like then have a look at places like Jobsite or Jobserve and see what they want and how much they are paying.

One bit of advice for you tho, in a recent position of mine I was approached by 3 different agencies about the same position, I gave my standard rate (what I had been earning for the previous couple of contracts) to the first guy and he said that it was a fair rate for what they wanted (skillset wise it was a couple of System Center products that they wanted solutioned up), I didn't hear anything back from the agent. A couple of weeks later I was approached again, when I mentioned that I had been put forward for the role at x I was told that there was no way that the company concerned would even look at my CV at that rate so I was left with two approaches, I could either take a drop in rate or walk away. In the end I took a 50% drop in rate to take the role but the role was still paying me enough that I didn't really need to worry about that cut.

What I am trying to say is that no matter how good you are, the rate will only be what the customer wants to pay, if you don't take it on someone else will and it's better to be earning something than nothing.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  19. Jaron78

Oh balls I didnt get the job :(

Lack of experience (Which pissed me off a bit as they must have known that).

Oh well, Onwards, Certs and Upwards :)

20. mamschklid

mamschklid New Member

Good luck with your search - though from what you write you seem to be quite open-minded about what you want. One good tip can be to interview the interviewee - get them to describe a typical working day and what they want from you in e.g. 6 months time. Then you'll have a clearer idea of the job offered and if you don't get it, will help you understand why for next time.
    Hope that helps!

SJ