Interview Question - Why leave last job? (last thread before tomorrow I promise!)

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by exonje, Nov 2, 2011.

1. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

Hi guys, I left my last job as a comp tech as only part time shifts became availible. The reason for this is because I went to uni and dropped out. I would of had my job straight back but the other branch we had closed around the same time so the boss had to drop a lot of my shifts at our only remaining branch for himself. When the inevitable question comes up "why did you leave x" shall I respond with dropping out of uni or the branch closing? I don't really want to mention uni as they may look down on me?

2. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

It is up to you, read the interviewer and find out what they're looking for.

A lot of IT people drop university, finding the courses irrelevant for them and deciding to take the certification and experience route.

Then again, saying you were looking for more stable hours, a permanent position doesn't sound bad either 8)

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  3. jamesclimax

jamesclimax Nibble Poster

I found saying things like, 'have gone as far as I can in my current role', 'looking for a new challenge / something to get teeth into' are good answers as well

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS
    WIP: MCTS 70-659, Oracle, SQL, ITIL
  4. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

This question came up in a recent of interview in mine. I was expecting it due to job hopping alot (mainly due to end of internships/pt position as you OP). If your working PT then you can be expected to move if you need to live?

My answer which is an honest answer for a recent job was:

I am looking for a position where I can stay long term, develop and where there are more opportunities and training. I am also looking to move out of the 'industry' where I worked within IT.

I also mentioned that I liked the idea of 'hot desking' and supporting a number of sites.

OP honesty goes a long way. Though you can always make it sound better than it is in reality. Sell yourself well and they liked you - you willl have a position.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
    Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.