Interview Prep for Helpdesk Role

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by marka87uk, Nov 22, 2007.

1. marka87uk

marka87uk New Member

Hi,

I've got an interview for an IT helpdesk role coming up, and I'd like to prepare as best I can for it.

The application states the applicant must have sound written and verbal communication skills, able to analyse IT system problems, and be customer focused with an ability to work under pressure.

I am currently studying for A+, and in my current job I communicate on the phone and by writing so I can use examples there.

What is the model answer, for instance, if they ask me what I'd do if an upset or angry customer was on the phone? Or if I didn't know the answer to a customer query?

I haven't worked in a helpdesk before so any pointers would be great, thanks! 8)

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If you upset a customer by being nasty to them then thats your problem, but if for example you cant answer a customers question and they start getting upset pass them on to your supervisor who should be able to answer.

If you get an angry customer, ask them politley to speak more calmly this should relieve the tension that has been put on you and hopefully relieve the tension the customer is feeling because of the anger.

Hope this helps and good luck in the job :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. marka87uk

marka87uk New Member

Thanks; I did some Googling and came up with a technique called LEAF (plus one) for customer service - Listen, Empathise, Apologise, Fix. I think I'll defiantely bear that in mind if they ask on how to handle a customer! ;)

http://www.krconsulting.com/news_detail.aspx?news_id=34

Any other tips/ideas? :)

4. marka87uk

marka87uk New Member

Well the good news is I've got a second interview where I'll be 'taking the odd call and talking to the team'. :D

Any tips or advice for this would be greatly appreciated! 8)

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Good News :D

Just be yourself, speak in a positve manner and keep calm.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?