Interview practical test

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by welsh-dragon, Mar 10, 2009.

1. welsh-dragon

welsh-dragon New Member

Ok guys I have an interview in a week’s time,(IT Trainee tech)
    I passed the initial phone interview and now I got a second interview
    Which will consist of a practical test, the whole interview should last for
    An hour and half
    As it’s my first IT interview I’m sh***** my self
    Could you let me know what to expect please

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  2. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

With out more info about the role you applied for its hard to say.

it could be anything from locating a file on Windows and being able to copy / delete or move it, to building a system from parts, or maybe making network cables or more.

So what did you apply for? whats the Job decription?

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  3. welsh-dragon

welsh-dragon New Member

To develop knowledge, skills and experience in providing support to the users of ***** **** ICT systems. Assist the ITC team to carry our maintenance tasks such as computer repairs, software updates, mobile phone changes or equipment moves.

4. welsh-dragon

welsh-dragon New Member

Key achievement Areas:
    1. To work as part of a team responsible for keeping M V H ICT systems running as designed.

2. To learn to maintain records of user support calls in the IT Helpdesk database.
    3. To assist the IT Officer or equivalent role to maintain records of computer or telephone equipment and its current location.
    4. To assist the IT team to maintain records of mobile phones issued and to support mobile phone users by showing them how to use the useful features such as mobile e-mail and internet access.
    5. To assist in maintaining records of desk phones issued and to support desk phone users by showing them how to use the useful features such as voicemail.
    6. To achieve an understanding of the design of the MVH IT Network as measured by the ability to draw a simple network diagram and explain to others the main components and their functions. To move on to learn to use this knowledge to assist in initial fault diagnosis.
    7. To achieve over time, an understanding of the main operations and responsibilities of MVH and to apply this knowledge to an understanding of the main functions of the Housing Management IT Systems. To move on to use this knowledge to act as the 1st line IT Helpdesk contact for user support.
    8. To work closely with other departments in MVH, learning to provide help and technical advice where appropriate.

5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

It could be anything really. Theres just no way any of us can tell you.

I know a guy who went for a local support job at a college, and the practical test they presented him with, was to unbox and set up a pc from the manufacturer, and install a couple of pieces of software.

Other companies will have more complex tests, involving you being given a dodgy pc, and tasked with getting it operational again. It all really depends on the company in question.

The key is not to panic. If you panic you are almost guaranteed to fail at it. Just take it calmly, and dont be afraid to admit when you are at a loss. Use common sense, in addition to any knowledge you have, to try and solve the issue, but dont pretend like you have the answer if you dont. Theres nothing wrong with admitting a lack of knowledge, so long as you know what you can attempt to do to overcome it.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present