interview monday for first line support

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by burchie, Apr 19, 2008.

1. burchie

burchie Bit Poster

have got my first interview on monday for a first line support job. its through an agency but the company its working for gave me a telephione interview yesterday. they have invited me for interview on monday afternoon any pointers???????????

Certifications: a+ n+
    WIP: mcdst, mcse
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have one on Monday too, just be yourself and be honest if they ask on something you don't know just tell them you don't have any knowledge of it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Sample Face-to-Face Interview questions for Helpdesk roles

Q1. What do you think are the main qualities/attributes required to be an
    effective Customer Services Helpdesk person?

Q2. Provide an example where you have had to deal with an awkward customer, what did you do, and what was the outcome?

Q3. How do you keep track of matters requiring your attention/how do you stay organised?

Q4. Can you provide an example of where you have had to use a structured approached to solving a customer’s problem?

Q5. Can you give examples of SLA’s (service level agreements) you have worked to?

Q6. What is the extent of your IT /technical skills?

Q7. Can you give me an example of when you’ve exceeded a customer’s expectations?

Q8. What is the extent of your team co-ordination/supervisory experience?

Q9. Do you prefer working in a team or working alone?

Q10. What are your strengths and weaknesses?

Q11. What motivates you?

Q12. What do you enjoy about your current job?

Q13. What would you change about your current role?

Q14. Can you give me an example of when you’ve had to coach or develop a team member?

Interview Techniques and Basic Hints

• Be prepared- have plenty of evidence of previous experience. You must be able to provide a variety of specific examples relating to your experience. Examples can be drawn from any relevant aspect of your life- previous jobs, school / college, hobbies etc…

If you have applied for a Technical role, it may be useful to think about:

• Difficult problems that you have had to overcome
    • How have you learnt new skills? (Courses at work/self funded/self study/off the internet)
    • Have you had to encounter difficult customers/situations? How did you deal with that?
    • What examples can you give regarding working to tight deadlines/under pressure/to high service levels?
    • What team environments have you worked in?
    • Have you dealt with customers/colleagues over the phone / by letter / by e-mail?
    • Were there set procedures you had to follow?
    • Have you been involved in team meetings or had any input to your working environment or processes?

• How have you used your communication skills to resolve a problem? What levels of people have you dealt with? This is especially useful if your users / customers are from a broad range of levels i.e. juniors to Directors / Technical / Non-Technical. This will enable you to highlight your ability to communicate on all levels and in lay-mans terms

• How effective a team player are you? Can you describe previous team environments? Obviously, the interviewer will be investigating how you fit in and ultimately whether you will fit into their team.

• Communication skills and body language are very important. Answer questions clearly but try not to waffle unnecessarily. Speak enthusiastically and show a keenness to discuss your abilities. Hold good eye contact with the interviewer(s) and be mindful of your sitting position (sitting up straight does give an impression of enthusiasm)

• Try and think of some questions to ask at the end of the interview. This shows you have an interest in the company and highlights that you can “think on your feet”. Typical questions may be regarding the working environment, the team/ department structure, what are chances of progression in the long-term future. Perhaps you could do some research on the company? Do they have a web-site?

• It is not customary to ask about salary expectations on a first interview. If the interviewer raises this, then that is fine.

Hope that helps mate - Sorry about the length... FatP :)

4. burchie

burchie Bit Poster

thanks for that. gives a good idea of the type of questions to expect. just hope i get the job now.
    Anything to get first steep into the i.t world

5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I'd just echo what GBL said. Be honest if you don't know something, don't try and BS them. IT BS stands out a country mile to those in the know. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

FatP, can you provide a source for the information you posted, or is it a completely original composition of yours?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Hi trip.

I got the material from various recruitment agencies when I started applying for entry i.t jobs.
    The information is not copyrighted and was given to me to aid me in my job search and preparation for interview. It should give burchie a good idea of the potential questions that they could ask...

P.S: I bought your a+ street smarts book last month, a good read, helpful for the practical aspects of the A+ exams

FatP :).

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Just checking. Ought to give credit where credit is due.

Glad you're enjoying the book.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. burchie

burchie Bit Poster

woo hoo what can i say went for the interview and 20 mins after was called by the agency to say id got the job its a temp to perm position with the chance of moving on to second line support. wicked feeling

10. Povester

Povester Bit Poster

Well done mate :D

11. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Big Congrats mate well done :D :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  12. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Congratulations... :thumbleft

13. asam.shan

asam.shan Nibble Poster

Congratulations matey.

PS nice post fatp

Certifications: n/a
    WIP: a+, network+, CCNA
  14. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

well done Burchie :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  15. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Major congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

good stuff, hope the info was useful!

FatP 8)

18. burchie

burchie Bit Poster

info was spot on.
    was asked the questions in sections about cant remember how many was about 8/9 i was then asked 3/4 technical questions.
    have also started college in the local area doing my mcdst so cementing what i know and also gaining loads of on the job knowledge as i started training with new job yesterday.

19. MsG

MsG Bit Poster

Hi,

I have my first interview for 1st line support technicians next week, where I will be sitting the other side of the table and I'm more nervous than when I go for interviews, because it is someone else's future I will be deciding. I have been doing quite a bit of research on suitable questions to ask. I should have started here :)

Thanks

Certifications: Birth Certificate
    WIP: CCNA
  20. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I always found for the question of "Give an example of a time when XYZ" it's good to not just go "well once", but to go, and tell a story of sort, a positive example that gives a good indication of you overcoming pressure/confidence and whatever else.

I remember once, I brought up the time I was modelling on a catwalk, having never done it before, never even modelling, hated photographs and I got dragged into it by my hair dressers, and just told him the story of how it ended up, i just dived straight it and got it done. And not many people would have the balls to walk down a catwalk with 4000 people looking at you having never done it before, come to think about it, I was well out of my depth haha.

It made him laugh and that's a pretty solid example of confidence, pressure and alot of other values. So try and use real world examples. not just some generic answer everyone says.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3