Interview in less than 2 hours

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by twizzle, Sep 2, 2008.

1. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Excuse me while I curl up in a corner and cry.....

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I think I'm going blind.:rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

yes i'd seen that too, and it must be right as i managed to read all of that with out any problems or without trying to work out what you'd written.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  4. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Well i got a phone call earlier today. The company were so interested in me they dont want to bother witha 2nd interview, and offered me the job.

problem is, that i'm scheduled to meet my current manager next week, about my salary and conditions etc, to see if i cant get an increase now, or come up with some agreement for teh future. Now my manager has been very good today about this meeting, saying that i'm handling it correctly and going about it the right way etc,s o it look slike there may be progress here.

So what do i do? Do i wait and see what my current manager has to say in teh hope that he offers more now? DO i take the new job at slightly less pay, but will save me travel expenses (at least £30 a week better off on fuel) but that may not mean a pay rise for a while?

I have been unhappy in my current role since January, even though my supervisor seems impressed with teh work i do and i havent had a bad review in the last 2 years i've been here, and i dont really think things will change. However the new job is a new company, and i dont know that much about them, and its a unknown quantity. SO do i stay or do i take a risk and change?

I have worked out costs and thing i will be no better off but also no worse off, and the Girlfriend will stand by me no matter what i decide.... I just hate making desicions like this!

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Factoring in the savings in fuel...is it really a pay reduction?

Me too. No one can help you with this part. Money isn't the only reason to take or keep a job. Decide what's most important to you in terms of work. Of course, your current job is a known quantity while the (potentially) new job is an unknown. Either way, there's risk involved.

Whichever way you go, good luck.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

There's a reason why you decided to start looking elsewhere: you're unhappy, and more money won't magically fix all that. I'd recommend going with the new job, but only you can ultimately make that decision.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Michael, thats what i keep thinking.

If my current employer offers me more now, it still wont change the working conditions and the reasons i'm unhappy (though money is one of those reasons). I dont feel appreciated by the managers, epescially as i've had good reviews yet seen no reward for it. But also i feel that i've been lied to in the past and this will happen again so dont trust the managers. ANd that with my current work load, while i'm giving my all, i never feel like i achieve what i set out to do, i just have too much on, and no one is willing to lend a hand.

So a change could solve some of these. Even if i had lots to do in teh new job, i would know thats my role and i'm not doinf otehr peoples work as well as my own. I've also been told that during busy periods others in teh office will help etc. That dosent happen now in my current role. When its busy, theres no one left to help.

8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

If you are unhappy at your current job then no matter what the managers say or do, a couple of months down the line things may go back to the way they were and you're back at square one, if I were in that position and I were unhappy I'd take the job that's been offered.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I would seriously consider the new job mate.

In your current place of work even if you do get a few extra grand and some promises that things will change within a few months it will be back to way it was and the feel good factor of getting a pay rise will be long gone.

The new job sounds promising, if the guys are confident that they want to employee you after only one interview then that can only be a good thing.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

I would wait until you have had a meeting with your current manager, and take advantage of the fact that you have a job offer by going in heavy on the meeting. Put all your cards on the table, be completely blunt and precise, then see what the manager thinks about it. If they get pissy about it or promise changes in the near future, take the new job. If they had no idea you felt that way and genuinely make hasty changes, then you're in good steed to either stay OR go :)

It's nice that you have yoru girlfriends support, best of luck either way mate :thumbleft

WIP: MCDST
  11. AuRoR

AuRoR Bit Poster

I agree with Naive. If you decide to move, then you've got nothing to lose by trying to make your current employer beg. Ask to move the meeting forward as you have a new job lined up and are considering accepting.

Then again all they can do is offer more money or move you up. If there's no demand for you to move up it probably wont happen.

Did they not ask for references from your current employer? Did you give other references? How do people get around this? If you say you don't wanna give your employer as a reference as you may not leave the job it makes you look dishonest.

Anyways good luck with it all!

Certifications: GNVQ ICT, Nat Diploma IT Practitioners
    WIP: Head above water
  12. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Play it by ear. I agree with Naive about waiting until the meeting with your current manager (if it's feasible) and seeing what they have to offer you. Furthermore if you're not happy in your current job then it's doubtful that extra money will change that so you need to be straight with them.

At the end of the day - you work to live, not live to work.

Let us know how it goes.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  13. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

I agree with Michael, unless the conditions that make you unhappy in your current job change, you will remain unhappy. More money will help in the short term but it's amazing how quickly the lure of that extra bit of money wears off and your back to analysing your role again.

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  14. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Well i called the company this morning and asked them to up the offer. They matched whati aksed for, so i said yes.

Then i sat and wrote my notice for my current role and handed it in. My manager just asked if they could offer me anything more, but i know they wont go high enough so said no. Then they said they were not surprised at this and wished me luck. Unfortunatley i have to give 4 weeks notice and now feel guilty as hell, as i do liek working with the guys here but theres just too much going on in my life, more money isnt the answer to it all.

As for not giving references, none were asked for so none given. When asked to provide references, one being my current employer, sometimes i will provide that but ask that they not be contacted until i'm offered the job just in case. Other times i say that i don't wish to proved those details and give anotehr reference instead. Normally thats acceptable too.

I did have one interview where i didnt provide any refererences as i didnt want to use my current employer an teh others were too old to use. But that seemd ok, i still had interview just didnt get job.

15. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

It can be a very tough decision, there have places where I've worked, the people have been great, but the company as a whole sucked. I wouldn't feel guilty, you've done what is right for you and that's all that matters. :thumbleft

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  16. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I concur, sir! The very best of luck in your new job.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  17. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on the new job.

18. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  19. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Its always a hard decision, sounds like you made the right one. Congrats on the new job :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  20. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for the support and many congrats guys. I just hope this is the right move, time will tell.

I dont start for 4 weeks yet, but i suppose i'll have to do the obligatory 3 day work post once i have.