Interview for the job - (the subject is My level of English test)

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by kobem, Jun 10, 2009.

1. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

hey i had an appointment for having a job yesterday. However, if i am called for the second interview by them , they evaluate my level of English i mean(suppose) to eliminate other candidates.

According to you , what should i be asked about?

Certifications: CCNA
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

..Er, what?

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

They will probably just talk to you and get you to speak English so they can evaluate if you can speak English. As long as they don't ask you to write any then you should be ok :D joke

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

what do you mean?

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

English.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

:biggrin ah. so nice to see your own unique brand of humour back on the boards mate!

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Depends what the requirements are and what sort of competition you are up against.

Your English probably isn't bad within your peer group, so if they need you to understand basic English you'll be OK. However, if the requirements are that you fellacitate and combobulate effectively with English-speaking clients on a tertialistic ampersand, then you may find that you aren't what they are looking for.

Likewise, if all the other people being interviewed have qualifications in Emprustic English and you don't, then you may lose out to them.

As long as you refludiate effectively in the interview, you'll have given it your best shot!

Good luck.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. Fergal1982

you are an evil, evil man.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'll have you know that I got my Masters in pribcombobulations and Emprustic English at the Cardiff Wonderbra Institute of Titology and am now a D(phil) Fellow and Bar of the same, so I'll kindly ask you to mind your tone young man.

Never mind Aaroyn and her magnificent apostrophes, you're talking to an expert here.

10. greenbrucelee

I knew I picked the wrong college and faculty.... The faculty of ganjology was were I went. There wern't many failures either :D8)

11. Fergal1982

Magnificent Apostrophe's, that what they are calling them these days? :biggrin

12. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Really? Because it reads like you drank too much watching the Blackadder IV episode with Dr Samuel Johnson.

I'm sorry sir. I'm anispeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  13. greenbrucelee

Blackadder 3 but yep good quote :)

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Hey, if you can't understand his masterfulatious description, you probably need to stand over there with Kobem. :twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Whoops rare ol' typo. And with me being such a Blackadder fan as well. Ah well. There's an example of irony for the OP :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  16. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

Didn't figure out some words you have used and i have never heard before such as fellacitate, combobulate,emprustic and
    tertialistic

17. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Ok, let's try to get back on topic and help out :thumbleft

Kobem, I have no idea what nationality you are, which country you live/work in or where this job is. That makes it really difficult to help out as your English makes it very unclear sometimes what you are asking.

All I can say, which may or may not help, is that if you were looking to do, say, further educational studies (postgraduate) then most universities will require a good command of English. They will say they require :

"Applicants whose first language is not English, or who have not received their higher education in English, will be required to produce evidence of their English language proficiency.

As a general guide you should have achieved a minimum IELTS score of 6.50, a TOEFL score of 600, or suitable equivalent."

Do you have this at all ? If so you could quote that to the employer.

Is your spoken English uch better than your written English (we do have some quirky grammar rules) ?

In other words, give us some more information so we can try to help !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  18. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

You are right. The best attríbute i own is the foreign language, English. Even though i have no
    certification such as TOEFL or IELTS, i trust my level of English so much. Especially, i know
    it is much better than my other attributes. The weakest part i can specify is speaking. I experienced
    almost no dialog during my life. For example, If i met some tourists , i would overcome even the speaking part.

19. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'm pulling your leg Kobem.

What I mean to say is that surely the level of English required will depend on the job you are looking at.
    Will you just need to understand a bit of English when it comes up? Be able to use an English version of Windows? Or will you be required to communicate effectively (either written or verbal) with English-speaking clients?

It's all relative.

20. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

None of them. I think they either only just want to see how i am able to speak English or
    a little talk regarding what i expect from the job maybe my past life