Interview for Service Desk Operator

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Kopite_21, May 28, 2013.

1. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Hi guys,

I have managed to land myself an Interview for this Friday for the position of Service Desk Operator and was just wondering what sort of questions I might be asked if anyone is in a similar role. I am really nervous and trying to prepare myself for the Interview so trying to think of questions that I could ask my Interviewers at the end also.

Regards

Rob :rolleyes:

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  2. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

The most likely questions will be scenario based I would expect for this type of role, for example:
    Question: Can you tell us about a time that you have provided excellent customer service / technical support?
    Question: It is your first day in the job, a user has come in to the office complaining that the service they received from one of your colleagues was very poor, that colleague is now on annual leave for the next two weeks, the customers laptop is now missing all of her files that she had before your colleague looked at it... can you tell me what you would do?

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  3. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

I've just been through this in March and typing it from the helpdesk :)

Questions I asked :
    Q. What systems do you use here? Any ones that sound different/you haven't heard of ask if they are created by the company. Found a lot of the systems in use here are created by a team in the company. Shows interest which is a plus.
    Q. How many people are on the service desk? You may even get names, and you could follow on with where would I be placed in the que. I got all the names the general responsibilities etc and I would be sitting on first in the que so I would probably be the busiest. Which I am calls volume wise.
    Q. What are the main issues you have arise? I found out again quite a bit before I even started. There was a Win7 rollout underway issues were generally outlook config java new image problems etc etc.

You will be asked things like shadowwebs suggested, mainly about what you have done before and some situational(sp) stuff

This is just what I experienced and I hope I explained it well enough!

Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +
  4. Kopite_21

Thank You both for the responses.

5. Kopite_21

Just to let you know guys I went for my Interview last Friday and they contacted me the same day asking to come back for a 2nd Interview, which am chuffed about. It consisted of questions like "What qualities could you bring to the company", "Where do you see yourself in 5 years" etc...

They sent me an on-line questionnaire to look & fill in and send back regarding a candidate profile match.

My 2nd Interview is going to be with a rep from HR and one of the interviewers who interviewed me.

Could anyone shed any light or know what types of questions that they might ask me during my 2nd Interview?

Regards

Rob

6. shadowwebs

To be honest you have gone through the application process, and the 1st interview, so being called back for a 2nd interview is pretty much them saying "the job is yours... but just MAKE us give you the job and not the other guy"... you just need to go in to the 2nd interview and sell yourself... they may give you a test to do also to confirm that you have not been blagging it up to this point.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  7. BigG

BigG Nibble Poster

Hi Kopite

They obviously likes you, but the 2nd interview is to make sure that they were not looking at you with rose tinted glasses. HR are there to answer your pay, benefits other HR type questions (and hopefully help you sign the joining form).

Keep cool, look presentable, brush up on what the company is and does (again) and if possible ask questions about questions that they asked you, this will make you look good e.g. "so you say you use citrix, I was wondering, does everyone have to use this or do some people only work on local pc's? How do you support them?"
    Don't go "techno babble nuts" on them, else you may trip yourself up and talk yourself out of the job. It's mostly yours to throw away now.

Good luck

G

Certifications: BSc, Prince2 Practitioner, MCSA Win7, MCSA 2008
    WIP: Vmware, ITILv3 on the back burner
  8. Kopite_21

Thanks for the reply guys.

Just going to think of a few more questions that I could ask for when I go back next week for my Interview.

Regards

Rob :unsure

9. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Good luck!!

10. shadowwebs

how did it go?

11. Kopite_21

It's not until the 11th June mate.

12. Kopite_21

Hi guys,

Just to let you know I went for my 2nd Interview today and think it went quite well again. I was taken on a tour around the building through the Server rooms and the areas where the 1st 2nd and 3rd line Helpdesks are.

I also had a HR Rep there also and was just asked what Salary & Benefits I get now in my current job! So I don't know what to make of that.

At the end of the Interview though they said they would let me know in a weeks time. Fingers crossed!

Regards

Rob

13. BigG

BigG Nibble Poster

Sounds promising to me :) however it's never over untill they offer you the job.

Fingers crossed for you mate

G

Certifications: BSc, Prince2 Practitioner, MCSA Win7, MCSA 2008
    WIP: Vmware, ITILv3 on the back burner
  14. shadowwebs

to get a tour, and to ask what salary & benefits pretty much sounds like you got the job to me, as they will want all that information to put together an offer of employment to you... fingers crossed

15. Kopite_21

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'll let you know 'I GOT THE JOB'!!!

I received a phone call from HR before to say that I have been successful and I got the role, she says they just need to sort a few things out with The Director 1st and they will contact me either tomorrow or Wednesday.

Am so chuffed cannot wait too start, just need to get this A+ out of the bloody way.

Regards

Rob:berrr

16. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats mate :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Well Done! See it's easy really ....... :rolleyes:

18. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Nice one Rob.

19. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Well Done!

Certifications: A few.