Interview Advice

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by thirdno3, Jul 7, 2011.

1. thirdno3

thirdno3 Bit Poster

Hi all,

I have a second interview tomorrow, for an IT support assistant. I have been told that this interview will be a practical test consisting of them handing me a laptop and working through a list of tasks. I was just wondering if anybody here would be able to list off some of the more likely questions that they are going to ask for this.

From the job spec i have the requirements for this role are that i have a MCDST and be willing to quickly learn cisco, citrix, vmware and ICT skills. I was told at the interview that the job role will be 1st through to 2nd line support of the company.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST
  2. mcrilly

mcrilly Byte Poster

They could ask you to perform a large combination of things, from replacing the HDD to upgrading the RAM. I think it's likely they will give you some hardware tasks, and then plenty of software tasks. It's hard to judge what they're going to ask you because of the sheer number of possibilities that can be accomplished.

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA, RHCE, & VCP
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I've come across more of the software task that any other. Asking you to connect to the network, resolve printer issues, correct errors etc. Not everyone wants a bunch of hopefulls ripping the hard disk out of a perfectly good laptop all day. :biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. thirdno3

thirdno3 Bit Poster

Thanks for getting back, yeah they have been quite vague about the whole thing all they have told me is that its not a pass fail test more a test to see where my IT skill level is at, the recruiter has been vague as well and has said that there will probably be a network connectivity issue.

5. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

It'll more than likely be software related.

Like jonny said, network connections, printers, configuring windows.

If it's a large company and they have all their hardware looked after, i.e Dell - usually thats left to Dell to sort out, providing they have support.

Always difficult to predict what they'll ask, it'll depend on the enviornment of the company and how they run their IT support. You've got a solid set of foundation certs, so i recon you'll be fine :)

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  6. thirdno3

thirdno3 Bit Poster

An update on this,

So I went to the interview (15 minutes late but I had phoned the guy in advance and he seemed quite cool about it), got there and had a chat with him and another guy who works in the same department, they handed me a piece of paper and a laptop with some problems, cannot connect to the internet, sound is not working, a problem with a PDF file, bbc.co.uk website redirecting to moonpig.com and a issue with connecting to the exchange server and a profile issue, I was also handed a sheet of paper with around 15 questions on it, they left and said that they would be back in about 15 minutes. Managed to get the internet back on (DNS server was 1.1.1.1), downloaded the sound drivers for the sound card, opened up the PDF and I could not understand why it was so messed, after doing this I realized that I had went through 10 minutes (mainly for me taking to long to change the DNS settings) so I attempted rather poorly to answer the questions on the sheet of paper, think I wrote about 5 answers down and could not even guess the others. The 2 guys came back in and that was it we went through what I had and had not done was kicking myself for not looking in the LM hosts file for the bbc one, I never got on to the exchange or the profile one. The guy explained that my “skills” were not of the same standard as some of the other people that they had in so I would not be getting the job, but he was pretty cool and told me that if I was serious about doing proper I.T I should get myself in a lower role in a bigger company that I am in now. I am glad to say on the following Monday I had another interview at a large oil and gas company supporting users all over the globe as a service support analyst and I was offered the job on Thursday which I accepted, funnily enough my old flat mate had his first I.T job with the same company doing the same role and was there for 6 months he absolutely hated it along with other people I know who have worked for them, but he has said that it is a brilliant place to learn about I.T and move on to something else.

So long story short went on an interview never got it, went to another interview and got that.

Cheers
    Steve