Internet tracking

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by zxspectrum, Dec 2, 2006.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Sorry if this is in the wrong area guys but i wasnt sure where to put it.

OK we al know filesharing is illegal and also there is a lot of other things illegal concerning the internet. Now how would some get traced from say downloading a music file etc and how could someone avoid getting caught downloading a music file etc.

The reason i ask is that im doing legislation as part of a topic for my web design, and it would be great to have all the answers when we do a presentation etc. Now i dont expect the answers but some pointers to some great links would be great here guys
    Thanks
    Eddie

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Torrents:

If using public Torrents then companies can start downloading a public torrent and see a whole range of IP addresses and trace them. I don't know whether they are allowed to do this but that's one way.

To get around it is, to sign up to a private torrent site that requires a username and password and companies don't bother... because they'll need to register (which don't get me wrong they can do) but most sites are based on invites only.

Or use a proxy that hides your real IP. Another way is PeerGuardian

Don't know if thats illegal to post or not, but if it is then feel free to delete it. :)

I'm sure someone will do a better/bigger post but thats my 2 cents. :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  3. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

There are legitimate reasons to use a proxy service as well so I don't see a problem with posting that.

As for how they can track you, it all comes down to IP addresses. I think there have been court cases where record companies have successfully forced ISPs to reveal the details of the people behind certain IP addresses.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

File sharing is not illegal. Sharing copyrighted files such as films and music, is illegal. So P2P, torrents etc are not illegal mediums to use. It is the *content* ie the nature of the files that can land you in trouble.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)