Internet Slang

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Nov 12, 2006.

?

INTERNET SLANG

1. YES -I DO YOU USE INTERNET SLANG

21 vote(s)
    65.6%
  2. I DON'T KNOW WHAT INTERNET SLANG IS?

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. NO- I DON'T USE INTERNET SLANG

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. I AM A LURKER & DON'T POST!

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. mrobinson52

mrobinson52 Security Maven Gold Member

Most excellent explanation! It is too bad I cannot rate this as a helpful post since you are staff. :(

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA:Security, Security+
    WIP: CISSP
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hmm Interesting Comment Phoenix.

Of course when I set up this poll I did have a hidden agenda in mind and that was to see if CF should have a section on what these terms mean or have a clause in their use of CF conditions explaining no internet slang should be use.

The problem is we all do get too familiar with writing a certain style and we forget that there are still people out there who have never seen internet or TXT slang before, and therefore the message we are trying to get across to people is lost in jargon.

I must admit and totally put my hand up for this one:oops: , that I don't check my spellings or read the posts correctly. I do tend to scan read, which is really annoying when I am reading a book. However I am told you get this from searching information on the web:biggrin

But If everyone here is going to use slang or shorthand shouldn't there be a key to these terms here somewhere?8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Such as a glossary or such? there are numerous threads floating around explaining things like TLAs and the like, i dont think a definative glossary exists though

I think you have to take it in context of whos likely to be using this site though, as most of that stuff if not already second nature will get drummed in pretty fast :)

we also have a section of the forums dedicated to newbies asking questions and such and that would include any lack of understanding regarding various forum 'languages' :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Actually there is a place where internet slang words are explained and what it means. Maybe you should be a pin thread about it in the newbie section explaining what the Http link is about????

Here's the site:- Definitions of Internet Slang

What is Internet Slang?

You notice l33t or L337 is not on the list of internet slang, instead it comes under l33t slang

and then there's also l33t syndrome

5. mrobinson52

Given the fact that the name of this site implies that the majority of users are probably seeking certification info, a certain familiarity with the jargon could be assumed. There are all kinds of online dictionaries and encyclopedias for looking up terms if needed.

All professions have their jargon. You learn it as you go along. 8)

6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Given the fact that the majority of newbie's who arrive here -through searching Google on feedback on Computeach or other learning providers.

I have to disagree with you there!:dry

Splashed over the newspapers in the job sections or a nice big advert on TV.

Become a IT professional have a high paid job and fantastic career, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to do IT.

"Then they show people like builders, plumbers, anyone can work IT"

Majority of people are attracted to the IT world for the money, like a Moth attracted to the light.

Most of them have never looked inside a pc before or used it for programming or even office skills.

you expect these members to understand what lol, IMHO l33t means?

When I arrived here with the same burning question CT or NITLC?

I notice a lot of those quirky words?

I PM a staff member but got no reply , I search through Google and was more confused, finally Freedy gave me the answer I was looking for.:biggrin

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Then they are not going to succeed in this industry. The competition is way too high!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. mrobinson52

I agree. Once they find out that the money is only for those at the top of the profession, and that you are not well compensated while you are learning and gaining experience, they will go back to whatever they were working at before. To really stick with the IT field requires a true love of the field itself, not just trying to get rich quick. :rolleyes:

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

youd get richer quicker playing the lotto :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

That's for sure.

As far as leetspeak goes, I abhor it. Communication skills seem to be at their lowest ebb since the industrial revolution, and this junk makes things even worse. It's almost impossible to read some posts because of the lack of spelling, grammar, and punctuation skills without this crap being thrown into the mix too.

To tell the truth I don't know how some of those people could survive in a business world. If they know better and still refuse to communicate normally just because they are either too lazy or too "cool" to communicate in a way everyone should be able to understand, then they will never get ahead in the business world. If they communicate that way because they simply don't have any English skills then they aren't going to get ahead either, unless they spend time and energy learning how to communicate much more skillfully.

A person can be as "smart as whip", but if they cannot communicate they will be perceived as being a "few bricks short of full load", if you know what I mean, by the business world. The ability to communicate naturally, and in a manner that is easily understandable, is a must for anyone who wants to go somewhere in the IT world. L33tsp34|< just will not do the job for anyone.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  11. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Only sometimes, get annoyed with it after a while.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security