Internet Slang

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Nov 12, 2006.

?

INTERNET SLANG

1. YES -I DO YOU USE INTERNET SLANG

21 vote(s)
    65.6%
  2. I DON'T KNOW WHAT INTERNET SLANG IS?

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. NO- I DON'T USE INTERNET SLANG

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. I AM A LURKER & DON'T POST!

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

There seems to be a bit of confusion over what is accepted as getting the message across and what is not!

This poll is to find out:-

do people use internet slang?

Do they know what Internet slang is?

Do they think using these slang terms saves time or just makes them lazy in English?

IF YOU NOT SURE WHAT IS INTERNET SLANG - CLICK HERE

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I went for the "I'm a lurker and don't post".:D

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

I use acronyms in situations where I know the people I'm talking to will understand it.

I wouldn't reel off a load of internet slang to someone just for the sake of time, because it would probably take twice as long to explain what I had just written!

Whilst we're on the subject, what does <g> mean? My sister always puts it in her email and messages and I can only assume it means something like grin?? :blink

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  4. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Yes sometimes i use internet slang but not all the time

5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

me too...i dont use it often but it helps i guess...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Sine I don't count 'ROFL' 'LMFAO' and 'LOL' as Internet slang, i voted no. I've never used '1eet' or 'hax0r' other than when I'm taking the piss, and I absolutely, utterly despise 'txt spk' - which i think is very similar to jargon.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I am in full agreement with Zeb here. Don't use it except in the same circumstances that Zeb mentioned. Plus the fact I'm a boring old fart and don't understand half of it. My thoughts are if people can't write down in proper words and sentences then I ain't gonna read it. If new comers start writing in internet slang or even worse txt taqlk they get a nice mod asking them to post in proper language, sentences and paragraphs, that is how we have always done it here.

I would like to think that we are all reasonably educated people and can all use a keyboard, so why bastardise the English language any more than it already is (except for my damn aweful spelling) :(

Right soap box put away.

:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I don't use it.
    It drives me nuts.
    So does text speak.
    C U L8R saves 6 letters - how much of a hurry do you have to be in to make that essential?

For that matter - mobile phones - don't get me started!

OK, a stock broker driving to work in his BMW, may have something of importance that can't wait until he gets to the office - but Doris with her chav scrape back hair in her battered Fiat? Can't she wait until she gets home to find out what flavour super noodles the family want rather than going round the roundabout with a phone in one hand and a fag in the other steering with her elbows?

Sorry...

:oops:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Now you've opened a can of worms. In my honest opinion as soon as the key is in the car ignition there should be some cut off device that blocks all mobile phones signals. Grrrrr people talking on them should be hung, drawn and quartered.

Bloody hell I sound like one of them Grumpy Old Men. Ho Hum time for some beer then :alc

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  10. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I didn't realise Doris ever made it as far as your neck of the woods Jonny. She's usually seen driving Cwmbran from what I hear.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yeah, but since they opened an Aldi in Risca...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I agree totally with what Zeb said!

There is a balance between using proper English and some abbreviations which is fine by me but overuse of text speak, with a mixture of l33t is just silly and immature.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes <g> is grin :)

14. mrobinson52

mrobinson52 Security Maven Gold Member

They have not spoken proper English around here for the last 240 years... :p

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA:Security, Security+
    WIP: CISSP
  15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ah surely not my lady, thou doest truly speak in jest and with a sprightly wit, 'tis a pleasure to behold such a literate pen as yours dear Mary.

16. mrobinson52

Alas! We started purposely misspelling the King's English in 1776, and now, with the text messaging and the Ebonix, I greatly fear for the literacy of our youth. :blink

17. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

BIGThank you:thumbleft

to everyone who took the time to vote and post their comments:biggrin

It's interesting to see how many people use internet Slang here compared to the same poll I ran over on TU:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  18. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

personally, i hybridise.

Generally i write properly, but i do mix it with txt speak/internet slang (it really is all the same). I have to disagree with the definition that lol, rofl, etc arent internet/txt speak. they are.

it all depends on context though. i wont use it, or smilies, in an email at work, but if im txting a mate ill use some of it.

There are whole lists of txt/internet slang acronyms, etc which i dont even know, let alone use.

id like to point out that 1337speak is, in my opinion at least, a different subset of internet speak (or perhaps in a clearer way, a different dialect). one which i personally think is pointless. why in hell would you want to replace a perfectly good letter with a numerical substitute? it doesnt save you any time, and just makes you look a tit. internet speak for the most part is about acronyms. reducing what you want to say into a small, quickly typed phrase (hence why it took off over txt. why use have a text to say what you could in four letters?), 1337speak is utter nonesense and makes you have to spend ten minutes thinking about what that bloody random combination could possibly represent. whoever invented it (most likely some 13 year old) should be shot!

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  19. mrobinson52

While the use of l33t in writing is indeed juvenile, there is one place where replacing a perfectly good letter with a number is a good practice, and that is in making passwords. Since a strong password should have letters, numbers and symbols, and you want it to be hard to hack, but easy to remember, l33t works well.

20. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Im wondering if we haven't defined exactly what internet slang vs text speak vs l33t speak really are
    as they are indeed all different

LOL, ROFL, LMAO, HEHE, Smileys etc are all 'internet slang' initially used back when sending a line of text to a remote terminal took far longer than typing it, accronyms and abreviations were often used to simplify and speed up the transfer of the line to other chat participants, this is 'internet' slang

shorthand typing, dropping letters from words across the board was not common practice until mobile phones and texting became popular, now a whole generation of our youth think its acceptable to use the same shorthand when presented with a 104 key keyboard and not a 10 digit mobile phone, somewhat unacceptable if you ask me, it saves very little time in the scheme of things as the reciever has to manually decypher the strange ciphertext!

l33tspeak came into being from gamers during the mid to late 90s, and despite your hostility to it perhaps i should remind you that gamers often are the young teenagers you refer to, and that internet slang as we call it was met with the same hostility by non geeks, replacing numbers with letters is still common today in gaming circles and is used in both communications and usernames, as a gamer I indeed used to be quite fluent in it however there is a time, place and perticular crowd to converse with in this manner, and its not here

Do I use internet slang? hell yes
    Do I use txt spk? I try not to, but I occasionaly slip in a 'ur' or an 'r'
    Do I use 13375p34|<? Depends who i'm talking to, very rarely in the scheme of things

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0