Internet News Sites

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Nov 23, 2006.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

As many of you know, I'm increasing my book review efforts. Traditionally, I would arrange with a publisher to receive a book, write a review of the book, and post that review at The Linux Tutorial site. Then, I'd post notices of the review at both NewsForge.com and LXer.com.

Within a few hours to a day or so, my notices would appear on both NewsForge and LXer and their readers would pop by Linux Tutorial to take a look. The purpose of doing this is to promote the Linux Tutorial site, to promote me as a writer, to promote the book and frankly, to supply me with free technical books. I consider it a win-win-win (site, publisher, me) situation.

Now that I am working with multiple publishers and multiple (not just Linux) topics and book series, I need to expand the venues where the reviews are published. Not all subjects would be appropriate to post at LT (books written about Microsoft products, for example) and I also wanted to provide a bit of promotion for my two other favorite sites: CF and Tech-Unity (I also write reviews for Linux Magazine).

The problem is, I sometimes generate reviews in rapid succession. If I post notices at NewsForge and LXer, they might not be posted in a timely fashion on those sites if at all (NewsForge has already started being "selective" about which of my notices they will post in their NewsVac).

I've tried digg.com but since articles are posted in their top ten based on readership rather than a review by an editorial staff, it's too unpredictable a venue. I'm looking for other reasonally well visited Internet tech news sites where I'd be allowed to post notices of reviews so they could be seen by the readership public.

Rather than reinvent the wheel, I thought I"d just ask you all your advice. Can you give me any other places where I could accomplish my goal? Thanks.

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Hey Trip,

I'm not sure what the structure is like at The Reg in terms of paying contributers etc. but maybe they would post some of your reviews if you were willing to donate them.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270