Internet explorer??

Discussion in 'Software' started by elli5on, Jun 17, 2006.

1. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Hello again all, ok so all is fine with my dads PC now. Except he has now took it home, connected it all up to the internet, he has to click the NTL icon on the desktop (which then shows the dialing codes etc).After this has connected, he can then click internet explorer icon on the desktop for it to open a web page(that loads instead of ''page cannot be displayed'').

He wants to be able to just click internet explorer icon on the desktop to instantly gain access to the net(without firstly clicking the NTL icon), for the connection to take place.
    He has broadband, i cant explain it in simple terms to him for the computer to automatically connect to the internet upon windows startup.

Cheers guys.

Sorry for all the recent posts, i know its probably annoying. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Ell,

You need to either configure the device to *connect* when Windows starts or get your Dad a router.

Post as much as you want; that is what this great forum is about :iluvcf
    Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Configure which device??

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Whatever device you (your dad) is using to connect to NTL with.

5. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

It is a broadband modem.. not sure how to configure it

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Ell,

If you find out the make and model i will see if i can look in to it for you....

7. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

All i know off the top of my head is that its a 500kbps broadband NTL modem(external) of course

8. Paul_o

Paul_o Nibble Poster

when i was using ntl many moons ago i did not load their software and just configured explorer in the connections option, i know my brother loaded ntl's software and when he unloaded it he had problems. i would suggest leaving the ntl software alone and find the server details and phone number and create a new dialup connection in explorer tools/internet/options/connections, then select always dial my default connection.

paul.

Certifications: C&G Advanced diploma in network support
  9. Paul_o

Paul_o Nibble Poster

forget my last post, just read he is using broadband.

Certifications: C&G Advanced diploma in network support
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Can he not do that even though he is on bband? My bro uses NTL and only clicks IE and connects, no client software. :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Couldn't you use a piece of software like Cidial: http://www.download.com/CiDial/3000-2155_4-3293014.html

That will automatically connect to NTL on startup?

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  12. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

But is that not for a dial up internet connection?? Im pretty sure there is a setting that can be changed in OS to connect straight away when windows loads up??

13. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Give it a try, you don't know till you try. ;)

There probably is a setting, but i don't know of it cos i have a router.

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  14. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If he is cable then how is the cable connected to the PC? If ethernet then set IE to not dial. If otherwise tell us the info.

You need to tell us how he is connected in detail. Normaly NTL implies cable, but I have come across cases where this isn't so.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  15. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Im not 100% sure if its ethernet, but im pretty certain he said its connected by USB. But im sure if he buys an ethernet cable the issue of using a dial up would then become obsolete?

If he is on ethernet however, how do you disable the dial from internet explorer??

Craig

16. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Ok so i have spoken to my dad again this morning, it turns out he has the phone line with BT, and broadband with NTL. The NTL connects to the internet by a USB cable, which then connects to the BT phonew line.

Any ideas??

17. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

hi mate. if your dad is on broadband he should never have to dial as has been mentioned so try this...

go to control panel > internet options > connections

he should see his broadband network listed maybe called NTL or broadband connection default.

below is a few tick options, tick the top one saying "never dial a connection"

hth mate!

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  18. hbroomhall

Aha - so this *is* a NTL adsl account. Fairly rare - but I got caught out recently at the fairs by this!

Because it is an USB connection there is an oddity that this needs an entry in "dial up networking" even though it isn't really dialing. The 'number' usualy appears as 0,38.

As far as I know for this to work IE has to be set to dial. If you do this then just clicking IE will connect.

Harry.

19. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

And the process for doing this would be??? Sorry for all the questions, im only currently halfway through Hardware on the A+ course.... Not reached A+ OS. Nor have i started N+ at all.

Cheers buddy

20. hbroomhall

First I'll state that I have never done this in IE for a USB ADSL connection (because my ADSL has used a modem/router from day one), but I *believe* that it is is the same as for ordinary dial connections. For those:

Tools-> Internet Options->Connections.
    In the panel check that the name of the NTL DUN object is there and selected.
    Select either 'Always dial', or 'dial whenever', depending on the rest of the setup. In most cases either will do.
    Then set the default to the NTL DUN object.
    Click OK and you should be done.

Harry.