Internet Explorer Switched Off ????

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Co9, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Co9

Co9 Nibble Poster

The Dell Log says : 'Internet Explorer Disabled on December 29th at 17.40'

Final stages of wireless router set up - messages say 'Internet Explorer Failed' & another says 'Internet Ping Failed'

Thanks

Co9

WIP: A+
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Has your father been using a different browser?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Is the Dell Log coming from the 'Dell diagnostics' facility?

If so, have you checked against the same date/time in the event log - this may give us on CF some more familiar information regarding the issue. I think the wording 'Internet Explorer Disabled' may be a nuance on the Dell diagnostics only, and may be a little misleading in getting to the root of the actual issue.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Presumably your father is paying an Internet Service Provider, he needs to be sat at the PC and ring their customer support, they are paid to resolve these types of issues.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Co9

Co9 Nibble Poster

Ok Folks - I apologise for putting out a plea for phone contact 1-1 help. This is your business and it was naive of me to suggest this type of intervention. But thankyou for your comments they are much appreciated.

I think the info is from the Dell event log
    No - the browser is IE
    His ISP says it is a Dell problem
    His Vista package has been registered with Microsoft

Kind regards

Co9:(

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

There should be contact info in his computers instruction manual or you could get the info of the dell web site.

When the computer is connected with the ethernet cable (the one that goes from the computer into the router/modem) is there a light on if not there could be a problem with the ethernet port on the computer.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Okay, time for some 'Devil's Advocate' questions.

1: has this machine EVER been online?
    2: is this a PC or a laptop?
    2a: if this is a PC, does it have a wireless card, or USB wireless device installed?
    2b: if this is a laptop, make sure the wireless device hasn't been disabled by a manual button on the chassis
    3: if it does have wireless capabilities, has it even connected to the internet using a wireless router before?

After this, if the basics are all in place could you check in Event Log (right-click on "My Computer", go to "Manage" and go to "Event Viewer") and see if there's anything in there that coincides with the date/time of the error in the Dell log - I have not worked with Dell Diagnostics, and I think the wording "Internet Explorer is disabled" is very misleading and is causing you to "only" think about Internet Explorer - which is normally only disabled (I believe) through group policy - something that would be VERY difficult for a normal user to achieve.

Secondly, try working through this article I have found through Digg on setting up a broadband connection in Vista. It has screenshots with it too, so should be relatively straightforward for you to work through.

http://www.zolved.com/synapse/view_content/26202/How_to_Setup_Broadband_Connection_on_Vista

You will need the ISP connection details (user ID and password)

If this is still failing, take the 'wireless' element out of the equation, and buy an ethernet cable long enough to connect the machine directly to the router, and see if that gives you a connection.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  8. Co9

Co9 Nibble Poster

Dear All,

Many thanks for your kind suggestions - as some of you have suggested this is an ISP, Microsoft, Dell support Issue and he will be contacting Dell tomorrow as had no joy with the other two. So once again
    - many thanks for your continued support. Will post the outcome when we have it!

Kind Regards

Co9:D:D:D

9. GazPM

GazPM New Member

One thing to consider (if it is a laptop that you are using) is that when the laptop is running from the battery power rather than mains, it may be set to disable the wireless card. Check in the control panel and you should see an option relating to power management/settings or possibly a dell 'quick settings' icon. May be worth checking these.

Also, you should try the suggestions that others have made and report back on your findings as you haven't mentioned trying any of them yet.

WIP: MCDST
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

True, also worth noting that in some cases the wireless card has to be switched on.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Co9

Co9 Nibble Poster

:DDear Friends:D,

The situation is now resolved and was rectified by the following :

1. He was missing the inclusion of an @ when going through wireless set up
    2. TalkTalk (his ISP) switched I.E. back on their end

I am sorry where I didn't evidence trying suggestions out and you understandably have a good point about the need for accuracy when reporting back - will bear this in mind in future.

Many,many thanks to you all for your valuable time and patience - it really was very much so appreciated and great to know that we weren't on our own with this one !!

Kindest Regards

Co9:D:D:D

12. Sparky

Glad its sorted mate. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

ooo kay :unsure

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. Sparky

Yeah, they have a button called IE on the console. :biggrin