Internet explorer 11

Discussion in 'Networks' started by zxspectrum, May 14, 2015.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Just a quick question in regards to IE11 and proxy settings not applying randomly??

This can be any user on any thin client. However at the moment its working without an issue for firefox.

We updated our terminal servers to 2008r2 and obviously with that IE needed to be upgraded. Id like to try and roll back to IE 10 as a test but i cant see the option for that, apparently this feature was stopped afterIE9??

So just wondering if anyone has come across this issue and seeing how you dealt with it.

I have looked in event viewer, i can see the messages telling me that access is denied and GP settings arent assigned, although i dont get the specific user info, we can manually put the settings in and then it will work. I can sometimes just log them out then log them back in and then it will work, it really is that random

Any help is always appreciated

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

So first of all I would find out why access is denied, especially if that's how you are applying proxy settings because that will obviously stop those setting from being applied to the session.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. zxspectrum

Honestly Si, this is just pure randomness.

Access isnt denied as such, its just that proxy setting are not being applied, but on a random basis. It applies without any issue with firefox. One thing i noticed about IE on one of the T servers was that the latest IE update had failed, and today, as a test we installed the update to only one of the TS's and are monitoring that.

However i have a feeling that its either just some random glitch, an internet explorer issue that we cant work out?

Ed

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

That is strange because I didn't think that GP applied to FF (certainly it doesn't at our place, we have issues when people use FF because our intranet and CMS systems use IE as the default and use pass thru authentication, with FF they need to log in to each service).

TBH I never really got used to playing with TS.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Simon is correct firefox requires custom active directory extensions to support active directory group policy configuration.

Firefox does not use IE internet settings in general.

Other than that no idea why internet explorer is broken under TS, I don't use either very much.

6. zxspectrum

Well, I thought I would update this post as I think we have the issue resolved.

We were getting the random issue again and we did a lot of testing, also since then, we have changed our web filter system.

So some thing, random IE proxy settings not being applied. This however would start after a certain time, around 11 ish on this occasion. After a lot of faffing about we have reverted back to Internet explorer 8. As it stands there has not been one incident of proxy settings applying. On testing with IE 9, 10 and 11, we found that when students would log in at the same time, then the issues would start. We tested with 4 different student accounts, all pointing to the same TS, out of the 4, one would not apply proxies. We did the same test again, but the result was similar, however the account that woudnt get the proxies, was a different one.

This didn't happen on IE8, which is what were rolling with ATM.

Ed

7. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I find each version of ie more restrictive in general. There will be a security setting somewhere in 11 that applies by default that wasn't there in 8. Compatibility with bespoke systems is a mare with ie. Shame really

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. networkkiddo

networkkiddo New Member

chrome rocks !