Internet connection wepage cannot be shown

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by twizzle, May 23, 2007.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Ok just fixed the g/f's daughters Pc after she got a virus on it, (or several as the case was inlcuding Zlob and a few spyware progs). All seemed fine but i couldnt test her internet conenction at the time.

Now she's tried it and while it connects all she gets its Webpage cannot be displayed. She's called Tiscali and confirmed all the settings are right and that it does connect properly, she just can't get webpages. They have suggested reloading IE.
    Now this is a DUN connection and its been ages since i've dealt with one of these so the question is, will reloading IE from the XP disk work or is there anything else i can try aprt from Pinging a website etc? Might even try installing Firefox and see if that displays correctly. But as usual all suggestions appreciated.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

First thing to do is test the basics. Ping a site by IP. Ping a site by name. If those pass then access a known good site like CF.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Exactly what i planed to do Harry!

Excpet that now i have and theres no response from Ping either for Ip address or web name.

The conenction to the net from the DUN has defiantley been made according to the DUN and acording to Tiscali tech support (though they wont investigate further aprt from saying IE is feked!)

have re-insatlled IE6 same issue so thats ruled out. Only thing I'm supicious of is that while the IP addres of the local PC is 80.10.xxxx (forgotten it now) the subnet mask is 255.255.255.255 which i'm sure is wrong.

Also i've found out that i get a BSOD when the speedtouch 330 usb modem is conencted to the pc on boot. If i wait until XP loads then plug it in its all fine.. so i think a re-install is in order.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If you can't get a response from pinging a site by IP then the stack is hosed. (or the hardware)

Ignore IE - it is a distraction in these cases.

Try the usual "netsh int ip reset".

There is a method which I have currently forgotten to log DUN as it comes up.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+