internet abuse

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by C4sper, Mar 14, 2007.

1. oggler

oggler Byte Poster

Work is for tractors and donkeys :p IT staff are the priviliged breed :twisted:

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+, MCSA W2k3-Security, CEH
    WIP: CWNA, CWSP, CISSP
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That's the very reason why i chose IT as my current preferred career above and beyond all the other types of jobs i have done in the past. 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

WHAT THE... Normal lUsers with full admin rights on their boxes? I'm feeling ill just thinking about that...

Aaaah, the ol' SSH Proxy trick. How did you find them? Its almost impossible to detect this, since you basically need to inspect traffic running on port 443 and, as far as I'm aware, that can't be done easily. This is our only 'hole' to the outside world and, in twelve months, I've only come across two people trying to implement it. Needless to say, both were 86ed very quickly.

Incidentally, that bit where you said 'they make a case to the ITSO...' In my place, that's me - and I usually says:

NO!!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

That Navaho proxy sounds great AJ. We could really do with something like that at our school. Is it easy to setup / administer? Also, is it a dedicated hardware solution or just an app that runs on an existing server?

I think we need to arrange an techy exchange visit between your school and mine. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

It is indeed a hardware solution, in fact it runs a cut down version of *nix.

The interface is all web based, it does rules for download limits according to groups set up on the proxy, it authenticates with active directory, does all the filtering for pupils and staff and if you wish will also do your email as well.

It isn't cheap and that includes the maintenance contract. The black lists are done for you and to add your own onto those lists is really easy.

You are welcome to look around anytime. Drop me a PM and we can arrange something.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong