Internal/external mail

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Boycie, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Just wondering what would be required for this type of set-up.

Still waiting for MS to get back to me about 2003 trial.....

Could 2003 retreive mail from an ISP that has come from outside the internal network and also host an internal one?

For example, a company called john smith cakes has a lady called sarah jane working there.
    Anyone outside the company (via the internet :biggrin ) would send a mail to her by addressing it to [email protected]

If you worked in the company would it be possible to say set up 2003 so you could have another domain so you could just use the full first and second name of the person you wanted to mail?

Sounds silly i know but i have never had anything to do with this type of set-up and was hoping 2003 trial edition would be on my desktop by now :twisted:

Thanks for reading this long post!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

To do what you want to do Boyce you will need an Exchange Server.

From within Exchange I believe that you can configure alias's to point to one persons mailbox.

I could be wrong though as I havent used exchange in over two years.

8)

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

oh, i see. thanks for the input :thumbleft

4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I agree with Simon on the Exchange servers. I'm not sure of the nitty gritty of the technicalities, but the entire staff intranet is set up that way here.

- to email me inhouse, you just type surname,firstname. To email me from external, it's [email protected]

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

exchange it is
    and its not cheap either
    saying that, you've asked for only a small part of the tiny featurebase it offers, so another solution may be more appropriate
    exchange trial can also be downloaded ;)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Yet again I get the chance to plug the fine and mighty Surgemail that I used on the mail servers at my last place. Does all you want, Boycey - run as many internal domains and use popfetch to harvest from externally.

I'm sure it would do the job for you, although some of the more advances features I haven't experienced. I'll be looking to run a test version of it again in the near future :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Thanks for all the input guys.

Gav- Surgemail looks really good. Thanks. :)

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Just as an aside. Exchange 2003 is built into SBS 2003, even the standard edition has it. That is what makes SBS such a good product for small businesses that can't afford the hardware and software costs of running Active Directory and Exchange on separate servers.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Also with Exchange if you type part of the persons name and hold down control and press K is will either fill the name in or present you with a list of similar names to choose from

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  10. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+