Interlaced or Progressive HDTV????

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Alex399, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

I'm looking at getting a new TV just gone christmas.

Now I'm stuck between which one is best or do they each have their own strengths and weaknesses??

Its an extremley debatable topic so I thought I would bring up the question, as I'm not so hot on the in's and out's of Interlaced or Progressive HD, please I would love to hear your thoughts on which is best for you perhaps and the facts of these different formats??

All I know is that "Interlaced" format refrshes the entire screen meaning it can reach a higher Hz rate
    and Progressive refreshes specific lines/pixels in the TV meaning the Hz can be slightly slower in some cases

Maybe I'm wrong in that statement I don't know.

WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  2. Geekzilla

Geekzilla Nibble Poster

I would recommend 1080p which is progressive, otherwise known at FullHD. If you watch a lot of sports or action movies your will need at least 100mhz screen. A TV with these two specifications will work today, be backwards compatible and will also be ready for the next step in HD content.

Alternatively, OLED is on the horizon which is thinner and brighter. What size screen were you thinking of?

Certifications: None, Yet
    WIP: Comptia A+
  3. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

I am thinking of atleast a "32 up to a "42, all depending on what tvs are on for sale at what price.

WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Personally I would choose "p" over "i", plus I would also check out the contrast ratio - the higher the better, imo :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I'd look at 1080p. Also, around here prices drop as it gets closer to Dec. 25.

Side Note:
    I've had a 1080p for a while but only last night connected a Blu-Ray player to it. I only watched a trailer for a John Travolta / Robin Williams movie (can't recall name). The picture was so crisp, that I was getting disgusted by seeing the actors make-up baked on their faces. Looked like a thick layer of powder. :sick

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

dont sit so close to the TV :P

I'm still stuck on 720p in the living room but 1080p in the bedroom

1080p is the way, hell i would choose 720p over 1080i any day of the week

120hz TV's also add to the performance of the image, but like with anything, 1080p and 120hz is not a cheap combo

Plasmas have better color depth and dynamic range, and pay attention to the ACTUAL contrast ratio not the gay marketing contrast ratio

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I'm still using CRT. No point in buying a giant telly here when I can't take it to the EU with me.

If you're buying now, wait for Christmas deals or New Year deals. Like what everyone else said, 1080p is the way forward. Though if you can afford it, get yourself an LED or OLED set.

Don't concern yourself with 4kTV or UltraHD, those are years away and likely to be firmly for the professional markets rather than home markets. UltraHD is still a concept mind you while 4kTV is apparently hitting Japanese stores fairly soonish. Again though, by the time that filters down to the consumer here...you know the rest.

OLED would be my personal choice, though that is only because I have the luxury of being made to wait.

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA