Interference on desk speakers?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Arroryn, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I've tried Googling this, but can't come up with a sensible response. Ergo, I turn the issue over to you guys :)

I recently got a little pair of desk speakers, for when I'm working my heinous Sunday shifts and want to watch stuff on iPlayer (or whatever) without my headphones on (in case anyone is sneaking behind me :ninja )

Trouble is, whenever the NIC does anything "worthwhile" (sending and receiving email mainly) I get a horrible crackling interference noise over the speakers.

I have a Dell 520 and a USB Toshiba Dynadock (which runs my second monitor). I have tried the speaker in this, direct into the (onboard) soundcard, and in the headphones jack at the front of the box.

Err... any ideas how I can stop the bugger? It's doing my block in...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

if you stretch the speakers as far as possible away for all your devices, does it still crackle?

3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

The speakers are about a foot and a half away from my PC's ethernet port, and my VoIP phone. Because of the tight cable management on the desk (lovely looming and looping) that's about as far away as they get unfortunately...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

hmmm, the only things i can think of is just basics;

* try another set of speakers
    * try this set on another computer, where you can move the phone away

the intereference can be coming from the hardware or the phone or both or it could just be a dodgy set of speakers...
    or i could also be lost

5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Maybe the set of speakers are unshielded?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security