Interesting Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tripwire45, Nov 27, 2003.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I did a two hour job last night on a minor LAN upgrade. I moved a PC that had been used as a server to another office and installed the new server, putting it on a wireless/wired combo LAN. The "old" server is a Windows 2000 Pro machine. When I booted it up, it did several interesting things.

It said it wanted it's virus definitions updated. Since I had an internet connection, I tried to do it but after apparently doing the download, the darn thing said it couldn't do it because it didn't have a connnection. I tried this a few times with the same result. It's Norton 2001 so I'm just going to recommend an upgrade to 2003.

It also tried to look for the Cisco DSL modem, opening up a small window and displaying the devices MAC address. I didn't know what to do about this one. You can cancel out of it, but it's a pain in the neck. I guess when they originally installed the modem, they did it with this machine and the machine used to be the "gateway" server directly connected to the modem. Now, another machine has that job.

I thought about going into MSCONFIG and just unchecking loading this service at boot but you can't access this in a Windows 2000 machine. I want to recommend how to get rid of this annoyance. Suggestions? Thanks. And "Happy Turkey Day" from the U.S. (the bird is on the barbecue...<yum>). :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

you could try taking it out of the registrys aturt up option (if it's listed), have a look in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Microsoft > Windows > Current Version > Run.

Make sure you back up the registry first and you know how to restore it.....Just in case

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346