Interesting firewall problem

Discussion in 'Networks' started by tripwire45, Nov 23, 2003.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I've been meaning to post this one for awhile but am just now getting around to it. I plug my laptop into the network at work so I can monitor the various forums, check my personal e-mail through the day and download any virus definition updates (they come in pretty much daily).

I use the freeware version of ZoneAlarm and, when I first start connecting to the Internet on my laptop, all is well. I periodically do other things (like work) and inevitably, at some point during the day, I'll try to open my browser (IEv6) and get a blank page then the typical can't find server error. I don't get a message from ZoneAlarm saying it's blocked anything...nothing. I turn off ZoneAlarm and abruptly am able to connect to the web again. I suspect some sort of conflict between the network firewall (Cisco PIX) and my little machine but why does it work at first and then die later on?

Just thought I'd mine the experience here on the board. Thanks.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

First thing I'd say, Trip, is check your Internet and Trusted Zones (Firewall/Main). If they are fully up, then I think from memory you will have trouble reaching the Net. If you drop them both a notch, you should be able to get through.

Just some quick thoughts...HTH

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Trip

You have it in a nutshell! As you are runinng both ZoneAlarm and Cisco PIX there is a "conflict" there.

Running two firewalls can cause problems - we do it all the time as we often firewall our DMZ inner and outer walls and sometimes specific servers too - You have no idea the problems that can cause (we are using the same firewall product). As ZA is ment for the "home market" it is not really setup for multi fire walls!

My 2€

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I bow to that :oops:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity