Intel cuts electric cords with wireless power system

Discussion in 'News' started by tripwire45, Aug 22, 2008.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Intel cuts electric cords with wireless power system

Intel on Thursday showed off a wireless electric power system that analysts say could revolutionize modern life by freeing devices from transformers and wall outlets. Intel chief technology officer Justin Rattner demonstrated a Wireless Energy Resonant Link as he spoke at the California firm's annual developers forum in San Francisco. Electricity was sent wirelessly to a lamp on stage, lighting a 60 watt bulb that uses more power than a typical laptop computer. Most importantly, the electricity was transmitted without zapping anything or anyone that got between the sending and receiving units.

Does the next revolution begin now? Find out at news.yahoo.com.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Qs
      Qs
      I've read elsewhere about this and it seems to be a very interesting article. Wireless internet connections are scary enough - god help us with the introduction of wireless electrickery! (intentional spelling error for humour value) :p
    2. Hades
      Hades
      Aye very intresting topic.

I wonder what medical illness this will create.. or how long till the 1st person get electricuted by it lol
    3. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      That last bit has always been the question. Transmitted power has been possible technologically, for decades...but anyone or anything that gets inbetween the source and receiver gets zapped. This version uses a magnetic transmission system that won't zap anything and (supposedly) has no effect on people. As you said though, how long will it be before the adverse biological impact on humans is discovered? :rolleyes:
    4. TimoftheC
      TimoftheC
      Hmm, thought this was very interesting and googled it to get some more info.

One of the hits I got was this, which is not exactly the same but... http://www.theregister.co.uk/2000/07/15/build_your_own_klingon_disruptor/

There are some many nutters out there, maybe wireless electricity would be too damn dangerous - imagine sitting on a bus and someone points a device at it to blow the batteries on all mobile phones or other hand devices with a blast of electricity - or am I just being paranoid :blink
    5. Qs
      Qs
      Nuff said.
    6. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      I remember an old Jonny Quest episode (circa 1964) where Dr. Quest built a rather large device that would do exactly that. Touted as the "weapon of the future". Could disrupt the power supply of any of the enemy's electronic gear, knock jets out of the sky, stop tanks cold, that sort of thing. Now you can build and own one privately. :twisted:
    7. Qs
      Qs
      Nineteen-Sixty wha?!

We have an approximate age for tripwire45! :p
    8. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      Approximate age: old. :biggrin

...which is a GOOD thing!
    9. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      Oh for cryin' out loud. I could be *any* age and still have that information. Hasn't anyone ever heard of DVD? Being a fan of a TV show is no longer and effect of age since almost all TV shows are now accessible.
    10. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      Correction: old AND crabby! :p

:biggrin
    11. Qs
      Qs
      Old and very crabby! :p

So how old are you then tripwire? Just to stop the rumours :p
    12. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      Some people's kids... :rolleyes::biggrin
    13. NightWalker
      NightWalker
      In the 1920s they thought radium was safe, till peoples teeth fell out, they got cancer and died....
      There is still no definitive answer about the safety of humans being exposed to the radiation caused by mobile phones and wireless networks. Advancement of technology, human knowledge and understanding is a must for the survival of the species, but that research and advancement must come with extensive testing for potential issues negative to our health, so far that testing has only come after new technologies have been released to the public.
    14. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      ...and grandkids. :twisted:
    15. Crito
      Crito
    16. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      It's not discovery or technology that determines the practicality of an invention, it's the marketability and profitability of the thing.

Great link, Crito. Thanks. :)