Intel / AMD Processors A+2011

Discussion in 'A+' started by Lozler, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Lozler

Lozler Bit Poster

Hi guys!

I'm sitting my compTIA A+ exams on July the 1st, so not long now. I've used Testout Labsims and Mike Meyers A+ book.

My question is, has anybody taken the exams this year? Does it include all of the stuff in Mike Meyers books about like...Athlon 64 CPUS etc etc, because I actually don't really know the differences between them all. I only know the basic things between like dual core, quad core etc.

Also Mike Meyers book talks a lot about different version of Pentiums etc, was this included in your 2011 exam? I haven't really learnt this well.

Bit nervous about the exams, think I can manage about 80%, not sure if that's a pass or not though!

Cheers guys!

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Anything that is in the book could be in the exam otherwise it ouldn't be in the book. If your getting 80% in practice exams then you should be ok.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

If you know the areas you struggle on then you know where to start with your revision :D

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA
  4. Lozler

Lozler Bit Poster

Cheers guys.

Everyone told me that the A+ would be easy, but it's definately more indepth than I originally thought.

Is it possible to get your first IT job with just your A+, and Network+ and no experience?

5. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

I got my first (current) IT job with zero certs and zero experience..

I think at the entry level stage, its a lot more about 'you', enthusiasm, willingness to learn etc

You can be as 'certed' as you like, but if you don't come accross well in an interview, you'll never get a job..

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA
  6. Lozler

Lozler Bit Poster

I've got the first A+ exam booked for friday, the reason I asked about the Intel processors etc is that I used other sources to revise for this exam, and when I was looking through Mike Meyers book, it had some stuff in there that i hadn't even seen before (My training material was written very recently, mike meyers book was written before hand so that's why I was a bit confused on what exactly to learn).

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Meyers is basically the leading authority on the A+ so he knows what he is on about.

Beaware though that there are sections in his book which are titled historical/conceptual these parts tell you a little bit about how it was before he starts talking about a modern technology such as CPUs etc. Whilst you may want to skip these bits its actually good know about the history as it will help you understand the modern day equivalent of that history.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

i took the exam this year and the first rule is not to divulge any questions or content but if you know it's a weak spot, learn what slots and types there are. Even if no questions on this come up, it's nice know what types there are for your own personal knowledge.

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon