Integrating programming with Networking

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by flex22, Aug 29, 2003.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I hadn't realised until just now that there was somewhere to talk about programming on here. :oops:

I've recently become very interested in programming.It makes a change to read about something else other than networking now and then.

Anyway, get to the point flex.

Right ok.When I'm MCSE could I integrate it with a programming language?

I wouldn't mind practising programming as a kind of hobby and then one day maybe get certified in something.

I've been looking into Java and C++.

I'm also interested in learning scripting, which I think I've already mentioned before on here.

If anyone has any thoughts or advice then please share them. :scatter

Thanks!

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

As far as I'm aware, Flex, there's nothing to stop you integrating any aspects of IT into what it is you want to do. More to the point, I think it makes you a more valuable prospect if you have a wider skill-set.

Mind you, that's coming from a van driver, so take it as you will !!! :oops:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I push trolleys around a hospital mate :brancard

Thanks for the advice

:iluvcf

4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Flex, this kind of stuff can really help in in certain situations. I use a few scripts on the network I work on, you can't got wrong knowing how to write and use simple scripts.

:iluvcf 2

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Flex, both Si and Gav make very good points. The broader your skillset the more employable you are and scripting can be essential in a network environment. Group Policy may make a lot of settings on your network point and click but dropping a script in there makes some things so much easier.

You could do worse than start with VBscript, it's easy to pick up and do something useful with quickly. The way I learned it I built a website using ASP, the VBscript I learned doing that has proved a solid foundation for scripting and taking a look at the .net stuff.

One thing I would do is make sure you have a project to do where learning programming is the means to achieve the goal rather than just learning a language being the goal. You may gather much more varied experience doing it that way as well.

HTH

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  6. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I've been thinking recently about making a website.

Just something really simple.My ISP give me 100MB of space but I haven't got a clue where to start, absoluto non comprendo senor :helpread

I haven't got a clue what tools to use, if I have enough resources, or what. :confused3

I've recently been to a programming site (what that's treason :hang )

they said that C++ would be a nice complement to my networking studies.

I take what Phil says, he has a good point, you do have to have a goal.

Could I use any programming or scripting in building a webiste.

You see, I really haven't got a clue.

I could use the website to put some of my own thoughts down on various things, from networking studies to my philosophical ideas (then you'll really realise that I am completely mad) :king

Thanks!

7. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

So any advice on making myself a simple little site or do you think it's a :badi

I'd grateful for input off people.

Thanks!

8. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Oh sorry flex missed this. You still thinkin about this?

9. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Yes :!:

Some guy on the CT site was telling me about Frontpage.

I'll have to look into it.It probably costs a bomb though, haven't looked yet.

I just want something text based and where I could put photos/diagrams if I needed to.

I'm not sure if it'll be too much to take on at the mo, or if it's easier than I think :unsure

I could use the site for my own reference as well as to share ideas.

Anyway, it's still in my head at the mo, which is usually a good sign, because my ideas usually fizzle out after two minutes.

10. SimonV
    Honorary Member

I started out with web design by learning FrontPage, because its Microsoft software its interface is similar to Word.

Designing pages and creating links in frontpage is pretty easy once you've have the basics under your belt. I've used it quite a bit so I could offer you some help if you need. Once I'd worked with FronPage for a while I then started looking at a more professional pragram and now I use Macromedia's Dreamweaver.

The harder parts come when getting your pages live on the internet but again its pretty easy to pick up. Just shout if you need any help.

SimonV

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015