Inteference

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by greenbrucelee, Aug 6, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

When I first got my PC it had a NIC installed however I could never get a could connection sometimes I never go one at all.

I think I must live in a dead spot or could getting a new car help?

There are quite a few signal bouncing around in my house, such as the cable free phones, a couple of sky boxes a couple of hundred years worth of lime in the walls and I am surrounded by hills.

I can't get a mobile phone signal in my house either.

Do you think it would be worth getting another NIC or do I really live in a dead spot?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

What type of WAP do you have?

Which 802.11 standard are you using? B,G, N

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  3. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Have you tried changing the channel that your wireless network runs on. If it is intermitant it sounds like something else is using the same channel which would block/interfere with your connection.

try downloading a free app called Net stumbler which will poll all of the available networks for the channels they are using, at which point you can select one that inst.

Alternatively, start with channel 1 and work up, see which gives you the best result.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

First if you are running Vista then try creating the following shortcut to test for RF networks....

c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /k netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid

This command will show the basic RF networks - including yours - that are available to you, the networks are shown as WPA or WEP with signal strength information. 8)

Of course if you have a commercial site nearby running at 50 dBi gain on their RF network then you are fresh outta luck unless you can change to a non overlapping channel.

Also of course you then could verify that the pc RF NIC works by testing the PC elsewhere - then once you get the hardware okay the only thing left is the location...:rolleyes:

HTH

supa

RF and wireless guy...

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  6. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Another though occurs - you can get a high gain aerial from Maplins for about £15 which just replaces the one on your nic.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The first thing to do is move the PC closer to the Access Point - like next to it.

Or are you saying that your broadband is supplied via WiFi?

Edit - and I'm not sure what your car has to do with this?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. greenbrucelee

I meant card.:oops:

Its 802.11g, I tried changing the chanells, the card is about a foot away from the access point and can't get any closer

9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

USB WiFi units (looking like pen drives) are *very* cheap these days. Either pick one up, or borrow one, and see if it any different.

If you are that close to the AP then there is something wrong with either the AP or the card. Interference wouldn't get a look-in at that range!

And mobile reception has no bearing on WiFi - the mobile transmitters are more than a few feet away!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. greenbrucelee

I'll try and see if I can barrow my brothers, although I checked the NIC out and device manager said it was ok I think there could be something wrong with it as I know the router is fine.

Cheers for the help

11. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

download netstumbler to see what other people are using as in channels. if you are using the same, try moving it +/-