Insult or joke vacancy?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Elhaj, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Elhaj

Elhaj Nibble Poster

I came across this vacancy and thought to share it with you guys. maybe the recruitment process these days became a process of insult.

the adert is as follows:
    Title:TRAINEE IT SUPPORT
    Hours: 37.5 HOURS PER WEEK
    Wage: £12,000pa

so far nothing is unusual, continue:

The ideal candidate must be MCSE certified and possess the following skill sets: Group policy, Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, Exchange 2003 Server, Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA), Server Firewall, Proxy and NAT. The role will involve providing LAN/WAN/software support for different centres based in the UK.

As a trainee should you have all the (advanced) skills? should a trainee be an MCSE?
    would an MCSE be the right candidate? why on earth a system engineer work as a trainee? and for that money? so many absurd questions.:dry

I am aware of a financial recession hitting every corner of the world, but I just got a sick feeling that the recruitment agencies and employers taking advantage of the situation, or even taking the p***.

Certifications: Bsc Economics, MCDST
    WIP: what's the point?
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Avoid! :dry

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Good evening class, and welcome to:

"Why braindumping is bad for the IT industry 101"

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Good grief. :knife

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yep, the person/dept that put together that advert *really* knows their stuff :rolleyes:

A combination of braindumps and using key words without knowing their meanings :x

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

In all honesty.. if they're putting you through those areas as trainee IT support (first job), and you could survive off 12k/year, it'd be a pretty good job!
    I'd apply and state the reasons why you think their MCSE requirement is absolutely nonsense.. Maybe then the person who put together the advertisement will feel a little silly and allow you to go to the next step.

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  7. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I'd think you'd be unlikely to get to the next stage by making the recruiter feel stupid...

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  8. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

So you think that the recruiter would spite their company if a person they're supposed to be recruiting is more knowledgable then them in that area?
    Chances are, if the recruiter knows nothing.. they're not going to be directly above them (maybe a general manager or something).. so the idea that this new trainee would surpass them is kinda out of the question.

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  9. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

It seems to be happening in so many job adverts for IT nowadays where words are just flung in.

From user must be mcse qualified and preferably have or working towards a MCP?

User must have expeirence of tcp/ip, dns, ccna, and wireless lan technologies

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  10. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Someone who has as little clue as this guy? yup.

If its a recruitment company they'll just read "I don't have an MCSE" and dump your CV in the bin, HR will do the same and if its an IT manager who wrote this wonderful piece of drivel then I wouldn't want to work for someone with so little clue anyway.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  11. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Indeed, some recruiters are taking the p*** as you rightly mentioned.

I had one ask me if I was willing to take a significant pay cut in order to work for their client who was seeking someone with a pretty decent set of skills (don't they all these days? I seem to get hit with a ton of companies looking for someone who is an 'expert' in all things Microsoft, as well as Networks, *nix and more, and yet not willing to put the money forward to actually get such a telented personnel within their ranks).

Anyway, I asked him "what do you mean by a significant pay cut", and he gave me an absurd number (along the lines of being paid 40% less than what you're doing now).

I just told him "That's not going to be possible", thanked him, said he can always contact me for other offers and said goodbye before hanging up.

Tsk tsk... If one is already working for a company, and the head hunter is the one who gets hold of you (I just leave my resume/CV on monster.com and if anyone sees it, they're free to get hold of me whenever they want... i.e. I don't actively seek new jobs), and then thinks that you're willing to prostitute yourself for a new job, is just not my idea of fair game.

Now admittedly, some jobs which do pay less, may however make better sense in the long run due to the new technologies you'll be using, and thus developing your skills. In addition, you may be able to hit stock options, get a company car, free health insurance... and who knows, better chances of climbing the company ladder (very difficult in some places, especially the one I'm in right now).

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  12. NoCompanyIT

NoCompanyIT Nibble Poster

I saw that advert too, what is worse is that it's in London, which means that it is the equivalent of min wage elsewhere.

Certifications: Bsc (1st)
  13. AndreK

AndreK Bit Poster

Yeah I saw this advert as well, what chance has someone who is just starting out got if entry level jobs are asking for MCSE?

14. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Alot of people actually do start out with an MCSE and no IT experience because they get sucked into places like advent computer training. I bet they would be twice as many people with MCSEs and no experience because of the fact that people cant complete their course because the tutors are awful or the training material is awful etc.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  15. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I guess advert's like that only enforce people's belief that you need a MCSE to get an IT job :(

16. batblade2001

batblade2001 New Member

Saw the ad too, this has got to be a mistake.

I may still apply for it even though the highest qual I have is a NVG L2 :biggrin

17. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Hmm, this really is no different than back in the day when the NT4 MCSE was all the rage
    it was a requirement for pretty much any help desk job back then

the fact is, no matter how good we feel about ourselves, and how broad the MCSE truley is, its status as a cert is very much 'de facto' when it comes to a job in IT

It is certainly a lot more hard work than it used to be to attain, but that said, IT seems to also be a lot more complex and hard work

granted, this ad is a little OTT, the salary and skill set desired in no way match, but the MCSE requirement is nothing new!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0