Installing XP from an USB CD-ROM drive?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ropenfold, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

Is it possible to do a clean install of Windows XP from a USB CD-ROM drive? I have a laptop without an internal CD-ROM and I need to format and reinstall XP on it. In the BIOS Boot sequence there is an option to boot from a USB device, but I'm not sure if this will work.

You probably wondering "Why doesn't he just try it?!?!?!?" I don't currently have a USB CD-Rom drive (Well one that works, I have a freecom technologies one, but the power mains connection is awful and its so old the instructions came on a stone tablet :biggrin) and I'll buy one if this is possible.

Any ideas if this would work? If it doesn't I may have to attempt some kind of RIS installation, although I think this is a little above my understanding right now

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Difficult to be 100% sure really without trying it. It will be dependent on the BIOS recognising the usb device you have attached. You may have probs if the laptop is usb 1.1 and the new one is usb 2.0 but there really is no definitive answer without plugging it in and giving it a go !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Would it not be cheaper to buy an internal cd-rom drive for the laptop?

I dont know if it would work, i have installed Raid drivers form a usb floppy before, though it worked with one usb floppy and not another.

Dont know if this may be of help

http://www.vandomburg.net/installing-windows-xp-from-usb/

WIP: LIFE
  4. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

instead of trying RIS installation

You could use a x- over cable use dos or free dos to map to i386 folder run from laptop. To install.
    no that hard not many command lines. (if you got two computers)

Could use a USB data stick can't see why it shouldn't.

5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

It is possible, for example on the Asus eee pc that I will be putting windows on, needs an external USB cd-rom drive to but from the CD. I think it depends on the laptop, but in general it is possible, might not be on all systems but there are some that are capable.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. Ropenfold

Unfortunately there is no port to do this, its a dell D410, I've considered putting the hard drive in another computer, its not hard to do this as its only screwed in, I took it out yesterday but I wasn't sure about the interface for it, Its a fujitsu hard drive that you can just take out, It would mean finding a cable for it. It doesn't look like a standard cable would attach to it.

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

YEs it is possible but not on all systems. As the prof says if the BIOS sees the USB flash drive then it will work. The newer Asus mobos I have seen have this option in the BIOS.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Adapter cable for laptop drives can be found here :

http://www.lindy.co.uk/31-2-to-21-2-ide-hdd-adapter/70189.html

I have used these for many years, they're very good

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  9. Ropenfold

Cheers UKDarkstar, that sounds like the thing I need, lets just hope I don't put the power cable in back to front and blow the drive!!! :biggrin

10. cdog

cdog Bit Poster

Would this not interfer with the HAL?

In my experience by far the easiest solution is to get a usb-ide/sata adapter e.g. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/143274 and connect a 3.5" CD/DVD drive and install off XP disc or your own slipstreamed disc if you need F6 drivers or any Service Packs. As also stated you could try of USB flash drive but you would need to have one big enough and make it bootable. A good application for that is nLite.

Hope that gives another option for you!

Certifications: ACA, A+, MCITP:DA, MCSA, ITIL v3 (F)
    WIP: ACSP 10.6
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes it would, if he installs XP on the other computer and then moves the hard drive back.

Best way is to copy the i386 folder to the laptops hard drive and run setup from there whilst booted into Windows.

The install from a USB CD drive should work anyway.. as long as the drive is recognised before windows loads. Meaning the BIOS supports USB natively.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)