Installing Windows XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cockles, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Aha, when you are right, you're right sir. Is this something that I can ensure doesn't happen via BIOS then, if I direct it to boot from my new whatever-the-letter-will-be-drive? So far as I know, my old C: drive still has Windows Me on it

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

These might help:
    Microsoft link
    Generic link

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

God bless you and all who sail in you BM :D

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Glad to be of assistance, my friend. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Keep us posted on how goes cockles, should go fine with everything thats been said.

It can be a pain if you have to format as I did.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Afternoon lad

After reading over everything from you chaps, think I've got a plan now.

I currently run two drives, a 17GB C: drive I literally just use for storage, and my main 40GB G drive that runs programmes and has the active partition. I'm going to buy myself a big old 250-320 GB (depending on the pennies) to replace the C: So I'll back up all I need from C: take the C: out, stick in the new one, format it, shift EVERYTHING from G: to the new one, install my new XP SP1 on the G: and use the G: drive just to run Windows and the new drive for storage and applications. This way I thought there is minimum risk of losing anything and should hopefully lead to a far more efficient machine. Plus, as I am using the same drive that was running Windows anyway, there should be minimum conflict risk

Thanks for all the help though from you all. As I have never done this before, seeing words like format, back-up and total date erase is quite daunting :eek:

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Sounds ok to me dude :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?