installing windows server 2003 on virtual PC

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by stolenblessing, Jan 31, 2008.

1. stolenblessing

stolenblessing Nibble Poster

Hello Guys..

I want to install windows Server 2003 on Virtual PC 2007.

Please guide me with the steps..

Thanks...

Certifications: CCNA, MCP (70-290)
    WIP: 70-291
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

First you need a copy of windows server, then you set uo a vitual host by selecting the appropriate button (can't remember what is) then you put in the disk and install it to the host pc and configure it as you would normally along the way.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

1- Download Virtual PC 2007
    2- Create a virtual machine.
    3- Make sure it is configured to boot from CD
    4- Put server 2003 CD in the CD drive
    5- Start Virtual machine
    6- When prompted to "Boot from CD" press any key.
    7- Follow the setup for Server 2003

Job done. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Or you can install using an ISO, but you need something like Virtual CD Rom to emulate the CD drive.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  5. Frank_Sposaro

Frank_Sposaro New Member

Hello. I am having problems getting a bootable ISO for Windows Server 2003. I downloaded "w2k3sp2_3959_usa_x86fre_spcd" from the MSDN site, but that is still not working. Can anyone send me, or refer me to where I can find another one?

Thanks
    [email protected]

6. Frank_Sposaro

Frank_Sposaro New Member

I find one. We got it through a MSDN Subscription

7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

erm, might be wrong but I think thats the service pack cd that you have.

8. JammyBStard

JammyBStard New Member

Can I ask, How much hard-disk space does this require?

Certifications: HND Computer and Communication Eng
    WIP: 70-270
  9. Frank_Sposaro

Frank_Sposaro New Member

You only need a few gigs of space to install the ISO. However, this is variable on my VM. We are running all of our VMs at 10g. But keep in mind that we really don't need the extra space on them. They are linked up to the same network drive.

10. JammyBStard

JammyBStard New Member

So you have several virtual machines using the same 10gig space on a network drive? Or several virtual machines with their own 10gig space on the same network drive?

I'm working on this stuff at my girlfreinds not at home where my network drive is, so I wondering about running some VMs using an external USB drive on my Laptop, possible even my ipod which has a spare 15gigs on it!

Feel free to shoot me down!

11. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

A virtual hard disk that has a clean install of Windows Server 2003 is approx 1.5GB in size. As you add more components and programs to the virtual machine the size of vhd file will grow.

I would allocate approx 5 - 10 GB of data on your pc/network drive/whatever for each virtual machine disk. You can limit the physical size that the vhd files will take up on your pc so that they don't grow and eat all your disk space.

You can run vhd files off an external USB hard disk but you may find the virtual server responds a bit slower than if the vhd's were saved on an internal IDE/SATA hard drive. Not sure about the iPOD, I don't see why not if you can use it as a regular external drive.

HTH 8)

12. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Nope, Virtual PC support iso file itself. Just right click on the CD icon in the statusbar and choose capture Iso file.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  13. Tinus1959

The virtual disks are dynamic. Just make sure you have enough space to support the disk-file which is created.

14. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Yeah I only realised that about a month or so ago! I think you used to have to use a virtual CD emulator with early VPC 2004 and I never realised they added native ISO image support.

15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You can also use a free program called Daemon tools lite which turns iso into a virtual cd and cd drive so when you open virtual pc you just selct the deamon CD and it installs as if it where a real cd.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  16. JammyBStard

JammyBStard New Member

Thats crystal cheers
    Sounds like i might have to borrow another drive though sounds like the IPod might not cut it in this case but yes, you can use them as regular external drives! ther'e very handy!

17. Tinus1959

My VPC 2004 has ISO support. Even Connectics (the company they bought the source from) has ISO support.

18. Tinus1959

Yes, but you don't need it. It is native to VPC itself.

19. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

It's not a problem to do this. I have exactly the same setup, running 3 VMs from a USB harddisk. The reaction times aren't a problem either as long as it's a reasonably fast laptop.

Where the real problem lies is with the drive mapping. If the USB drive is connected all the time or you don't use any USB sticks it shouldn't be a problem but if you do you might find that the drive mapping changes for the USB drive (occasionally) and VMWare/Virtual PC wont find the VMs. Then you have to go into the pc management and correct the drive mapping and it all works again.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  20. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Daemon Tools

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+