Installing Windows Server 2003 eval edition onto a new partition

Discussion in 'A+' started by tdooley, Jul 6, 2006.

1. tdooley

tdooley Bit Poster

I'm trying to install Windows Server 2003 eval edition on to a new partition (T:) from a CD. I've set the BIOS so that the CDROM is the first boot device the hard drive (HDD-0) the second boot device.

However, I'm having a problem; when I insert Disk 1, setup starts from the CD but it gets so far then I get messages such as dac960nt.sys corrupted and it won't proceed any further. I don't know if it's trying to install it on the c: drive which has already got XP on it instead of the new partition t:. Maybe I could format the t: drive (although there's nothing on it) and try again.

When I try to format the t: drive from the Command line prompt I get this message:
    Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted first.
    ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
    Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N)

What does this message mean and is it ok to force a dismount as suggested?

Tony

Tony Dooley

WIP: MCDST, then start on MCSA
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

are you telling it to install on the new blank partition or just pressing enter all the time? Also is the cd scratched?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. tdooley

tdooley Bit Poster

Setup is not getting as far as telling me to install it on the new partition.
    As far as know the cd is ok. But i'll burn the files on to another cd and see if that works.

Tony

WIP: MCDST, then start on MCSA
  4. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Missing file errors before the setup brings up the welcome to windows setup screen often means corrupt or damaged media. Try burning it again at a slow speed and it should work ok. Alternatively it could be your optical drive which is giving up the ghost. Does it read media such as cds and dvds without skipping?

Good luck
    Jodsclass

Certifications: BSc IT & Web Development
    WIP: MSc Advanced Computing, Oracle Cert
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

so its not getting to the place where you have to press F8 to accept the licence agreement?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics