installing updates-crash

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by saraharah, Sep 11, 2008.

1. saraharah

saraharah New Member

i have an advent laptop. it says it is installing updates but it has had the same message of 'installing update 2 of 5' on for nearly 12 hours now. when i switched it off and then back on again it came up with the same message again. what is wrong with it and how can it be fixed?

2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums. First up, you could perhaps intrudice yourself properly and ask for help - instead of not bothering with the formalities and demanding it without so much as a 'please help me' or a 'thanks in advance'. A little manners goes a long way toward persuading people to be helpful! :)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What update is it trying to install? When you find that out, I would recommend Googling to see if anyone else is having similar problems.

Is your laptop under warranty?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Instead of using the automatic updates on shutdown go to www.windowsupdate.com.

Download the various updates manually from there. You'll be able to then see which specific one failed and narrow down your search.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

I would agree with what Michael posted Sarah.

Also, is service pack 3 installed on the laptop? I had an issue with updating XP after SP3 was installed, where all subsequent updates kept failing. In the end I had to uninstall and reinstall the update manager to sort the problem out. Pretty sure this was the article I followed: -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144/en-us

If that's not the right solution for your problem just search for it on technet - loads of help on that site :)

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???