Installing SQL Server 2005 to different partition

Discussion in 'Software' started by Theprof, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hello,

I am having this really irritating issue where I am trying to install SQL server 2005 to partition D which is my data partition but it only allows me to default my installation to C drive. The browse button at the installation path portion of the setup is grayed out and wont allow me to pic D drive. My C partition is very low on space and the only space I have available is on D partion, plus it was a request by one of the developpers.

Now I tried googling it but I couldn't find much info that helped so far. Some users recommended changing the path after the initial support applications are installed before the actual SQL starts the installation but that doesn't work. I have nothing else installed on the computer, nothing SQL or Visual Studio related software. I was able to change the installation location when I installed the VS2008 in the past.

Also this is a windows XP Pro machine with SP3 that is VM'd.

Thanks.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

:hhhmmm....

Why do need to install it when you can set up a virtual lab?:blink

Hang on... I've got link somewhere on CFto a website that you can use setup online without installing it to local hard drive!

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+